You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Which color format/profile for 3 color printing (spot color)

Hello everyone,

A few weeks ago I asked a question about printing a logo. Now the customer talked with his printer and said it was too expensive. His printer said that 3 color (spot) was cheaper and all the gradients has to be removed.

When I choose "New" I am confused about the color format. I do not think CMYK will do anymore but don't know which one to choose. Also which color profile does I need to choose?

Thank you very much for your help.

Chris

If there will be any black (or another) process color, use CMYK. If all three colors are spot color and will be printed as spot color, it really doesn't matter, though I myself would still use CMYK as the document color model. The same advice applies to what color profile to use in that if there will be process color (black) and two spots, then ask what profile they desire. But if all color will be spot, then it really doesn't matter (so I would tend to opt for either US Web... or a FOGRA profile, which also means I would use CMYK in the document color model).

Just make sure that when you export the PDF that whatever type of PDF you are making that you click on the More button and ensure Include Spot Color (or however it is termed) is checked.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thank you very much for your very valuable advice.

I will follow your advice and choose CMYK. It is indeed black with 2 other colors surely yellow and probably blue or red. Very nice also to include the PDF spot color hint.

You surely made my day.

Chris