1drey

Overlay gradient tool - need an option to erase it manually in desired areas

Yes, that simple. 
Would not it be natural to have such opportunity? Something similar to erase/add  brush in Adobe's gradient tool in Camera RAW. 

I am a little confused as to what this would do that the regular Erase Brush Tool wouldn't do.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.0 | Affinity Photo 1.7.0 | Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.384 | Affinity Photo beta 1.7.1.138 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.0.14

I can't edit the gradient mask with erase brush tool (at least in 1.7). 

Paint the gradient, pick EBT and try to erase some areas of highlighted mask - and nothing happens. 

I think I know what you mean. Are you in the Develop Persona? 

There I cannot erase the Gradient mask, only the mask from the brush can be erased. And it is very spotty at best. Searching the forum I found no workarounds for it either. 

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.0 | Affinity Photo 1.7.0 | Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.384 | Affinity Photo beta 1.7.1.138 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.0.14

Yes, I was asking about gradient tool in Developing persona. Sorry for not being clear from very beginning.  

I also have dug through the forum and found out that it is impossible by design (