You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hopefully some one can help. I am trying to get a much better all round understanding of  'Colour Profile & Colour Format'. When I open a new RAW Image, I see, along with all the other sliders and adjustments at the bottom is a icon for Profiles ~ When I check this box, it shows ~ Output Profile - sRGB 1EC61966-21 and, if I open up the box, there are a hole host of other profiles with names and numbers (including one, which I have calibrated for my iMac using an i1Studio calibrator). I have seen or read that a much better profile to use is one with a Larger Gamut such as ~ ProPhoto RGB or ROMM RGB.   

So, at this point am I better to leave it with the sRGB 1EC61966-21 or should I switch the profile to either my latest i1Studio calibrated version? ~ or ~ use as suggested, either the ProPhoto RGB or ROMM RGB.?  

If I then switch to any of these New / Different profiles, whilst I'm in the Develop Persona, do I have to switch-back-later-on to the sRGB 1EC61966-21 before I print?   And, if that's the case… How do I go about this?

Normally when I've finished editing an image I go File ⇢New⇢ a 'New Document' dialogue box appears and because I am unsure what to enter in the Colour Format or Colour Profile boxes shy away and just check that the size of paper is correct and click okay. (My bad I know)

My prints to date are always slightly disappointing and so perhaps a better understanding of  'Colour Profiles & Colour Formats'.  Will help get me to where I should already be.  

Hopefully someone out there can guide me through this latest post processing maze.

• Staff

I recommend using your i1Studio calibrated screen profile as this will give you the most accurate colour for your screen, to get the best print results please check with you printers manufacture to see if they have an ICC colour profile for your printer model and if they have install this and when you print change the Colour Handling to performed by printer and then select your printer from the profile list.

We have several video tutorials on colour management that can be found here

4 hours ago, DWright said:

I recommend using your i1Studio calibrated screen profile as this will give you the most accurate colour for your screen,

That's certainly true for the screen, but wasn't the question about setting a color profile for the document? I've always understood that device profiles are for devices (screen, printer/paper) and the standard proiles (sRGB, ProPhoto, Adobe RGB, etc.) are for documents.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Sorry but I'm still slightly confused ~ so fill in the blanks for me   ~  

So, I load a RAW file into Affinity Photo in the 'Develop Persona' - Question 1 ~  What Profile do/ should I choose at this point   sRGB 1EC61966-21   -  ProPhoto RGB or ROMM RGB  or One, which I have calibrated for my iMac using an i1Studio calibrator 

Next - I finish Developing my RAW File and I transfer it to the 'Photo Persona' where I carry out adjustments until I am happy. When happy I go to File ⇢New  where upon a New Document Dialogue box appears… So, at this point…

Question 2 ~ What should already be in the Colour Format & Colour Profile  boxes? Question 3  ~ Do I need to change the Colour Profile to one of the previously mentioned Profiles or a completely different icc?  -  (I have a Canon iP8750 Printer & I use either Photo Paper Plus Glossy II or a 3rd Party equivalent).

If I have the answers to the above questions then I simply  copy and paste my image into the New Document ⇢ Then ⇢ Go to File ⇢ & follow Printing procedure.

Hopefully this is now much clearer to answer.  Thank you in advance

Digby.