You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Reboot: Whither HSV?

I queried a little while ago about the loss of the very useful HSV checkbox in the HSL panel, but the conversation faded into inconclusiveness. (No conclusion here either).

So here's the question again: Why was HSV removed? Do you think we could have it back again?

Many thanks!!

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

On 5/14/2019 at 2:06 PM, Chris B said:

Is there something you can no longer do now HSV has been removed? 

Hi Chris,

From my understanding, HSV differences:

• Hue seems identical.
  • Decreasing saturation: Goes to a different form of monochrome -- appears to be more perceptual, so for example yellow becomes lighter. Seems the same as B&W adjustment plus opacity change.
  • Increasing saturation: A different form of saturation. Decreases non-dominant colours more radically. Don't know how this is done without HSV..
  • Decreasing luminosity: Seems the same.
  • Increasing luminosity: Removes black rather than adding white. Seems the same as Channel Mixer, CMYK, Black, reduce black.

The HSV features are convenient and useful when, as with all features, once you understand them. I found the HSL format an easy and accessible way to use these extended features. Yes, most features can be obtained elsewhere (except increasing saturation), though these need additional keystrokes and more advanced understanding of the product.

I get the desire to be compatible with PS and PSD files, though it seems very limiting for the potential of AP to go 'above and beyond' PS. You've already got excellent ways of exceeding PS, such as with Blend Ranges vs Blend If.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Dave Straker

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Thanks, Chris. Just an extra thought: You could have a checkbox in Preferences for 'PSD compatibility'. If this is on, HSV (and other incompatible options) are not offered. If it is off (for people who are not concerned about compatibility) then AP can offer HSV and more of Serif's excellent innovations!

Tx

Dave Straker

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.