You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Guys, I just want to do a simple thing (see below). 

So, I can accomplish the look that I want, but it's not correct. In theory the geometry tool should be able to allow me to select the shield, and the rectangle, then just cut out the sides that the rectangle intersects with. Instead, it redraws the lines, and gives me two shapes, instead of just a spliced shape. Basically all I did was create the shape, then place a white filled rectangle in it. When I got to save it, and eventually print a variant of this, that silly rectangle is going to show. 

It was always so easy in Illustrator! But I imagine there's simply something I don't know, and I'm not sure how to ask for the information I need other than this. 

Solve me.PNG

Edited by theelijahmacdougall

Use Layer > Expand Stroke then boolean subtract the rectangle.

Screen-Shot-2019-05-14-at-06-58-31.png

Another method is to place the rectangle above the shield and set the rectangles blend mode to Erase.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions