You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

And now for something completely different.

A book cover.

Room of Dreams.jpg

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

Would a book be referred to as a ‘production’? Also, there’s no author name. Unless, of course, the author’s name as actually “A JDA Production”. Maybe it’s Alan John-David-Alvin Production of the famous Hollywood script-writing Production family. Sorry, just me being a bit silly there.
On a less-frivolous note, I don’t think the font is a good choice for the image. I have no idea what the book is about but the font doesn’t seem to match the picture in my opinion. The picture gives an impression of mystery with an air of “the possibility of rescue from oppression or misery” while the font seems to say “Hey kids! We’re having a party with cake and balloons.” The juxtaposition doesn’t work for me.
Also, I think there might be too much ‘space’ overall. I’m not sure what I mean by that but the title seems too small and ‘washed out’ to me. Not sure how best to ‘fix’ that.

This was just a muck about and not to be taken that seriously. JDA Productions is the name I use when I produce or engineer music so it has nothing to do with books and everything I create usually has that name tag attached to it - albeit not always pictures.

From a critical point of view I'm sure that there's lots wrong with it and the font (which is a nightmare for me to choose) is probably not suited - but hey! I was having fun.

Thanks for your input. :)

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

You’re welcome.
The choice of font can be difficult.
Your cover looks like it’s for a ‘thriller’, or maybe a ‘romantic thriller’, or possibly ‘family revelation drama’.
I’ve found that using a basic title font for that sort of book title works reasonably well in most cases, sometimes with a bit of a subtle effect if that adds something relevant. The covers of most thrillers do this. My general go-to title font is https://www.dafont.com/built-titling.font which does a lot of the heavy lifting for me.
I generally do these sorts of things for fun - and learning - too.

11 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Your cover looks like it’s for a ‘thriller’, or maybe a ‘romantic thriller’, or possibly ‘family revelation drama’.

Agreed. A font such as Cooper Black is too ‘soft’ for that kind of subject matter.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

44 minutes ago, GarryP said:

My general go-to title font is https://www.dafont.com/built-titling.font which does a lot of the heavy lifting for me.
I generally do these sorts of things for fun - and learning - too.

I just checked out those fonts and they do indeed look better suited for titles. There are so many fonts out there, some free, others not, and I find it truly a miracle if you find the one you want. Take your link for example: I have never heard of those fonts before and more worryingly, how many thousands of others have I not seen or heard of? What a nightmare of decision or choice. I find it a painful experience and seldom do it.

My design choices are born from an angle of fun rather than professional intent. And I must confess that designing is definitely NOT my forte - one of the reasons why I stick to Photo rather than meddle with Designer or other related products.

I'm strictly amateur. :P

52 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Agreed. A font such as Cooper Black is too ‘soft’ for that kind of subject matter.

I have Cooper STD (which I assume means standard?) I tried that one but there wasn't much difference between that and the one I chose.

A while ago I was lucky enough to pick up a surprisingly cheap copy of Jim Krause’s Type Idea Index https://www.mydesignshop.com/type-idea-index (My brand new copy was only 99p but it normally retails for £30 and upwards.)
It’s a great book to get ideas from and has a wealth of information about using type in all kinds of ways.
My usual method of finding a font is to find an image of some text that I like and then trawl through many, many, pages in dafont.com until I get something that looks close. Not a great method - and very time-consuming - but I usually find some interesting things along the way.

7 minutes ago, GarryP said:

A while ago I was lucky enough to pick up a surprisingly cheap copy of Jim Krause’s Type Idea Index https://www.mydesignshop.com/type-idea-index (My brand new copy was only 99p but it normally retails for £30 and upwards.)
It’s a great book to get ideas from and has a wealth of information about using type in all kinds of ways.
My usual method of finding a font is to find an image of some text that I like and then trawl through many, many, pages in dafont.com until I get something that looks close. Not a great method - and very time-consuming - but I usually find some interesting things along the way.

Thanks, I'll check the link out.

I must confess that I've never heard of Jim Krause, but then again, I've not heard of a lot things relating to design or the people prominent in that field.

1 hour ago, AffinityJules said:

I have never heard of those fonts before and more worryingly, how many thousands of others have I not seen or heard of?

Make that hundreds of thousands! My font collection doesn’t stray very far into five figures, but I know of someone who has well over half a million fonts.

Alfred spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Make that hundreds of thousands! My font collection doesn’t stray very far into five figures, but I know of someone who has well over half a million fonts.

How on earth do you sift through that lot?

Like I said. . .it's a nightmare.

I installed the titling font and it looks great.

There is one thing that confuses me - I don't know much about this stuff so maybe someone can clarify.

In the zip folder it displays 10 fonts, and inside the font drop down box in Affinity it has the number 10 next to the font itself. But clearly there is only one font to be had or used. What does the "10" mean?

17 hours ago, AffinityJules said:

In the zip folder it displays 10 fonts, and inside the font drop down box in Affinity it has the number 10 next to the font itself. But clearly there is only one font to be had or used. What does the "10" mean?

The ‘Built Titling’ typeface (font family) comprises ten fonts: five roman weights and their italic counterparts.

Alfred spacer.png

6 hours ago, AffinityJules said:

This was just a muck about and not to be taken that seriously.  - but hey! I was having fun.

Thanks for your input. :)

I can totally empathize!    One hour after purchasing Designer, and without even the world’s worst artistic ability, I “created” a jolly mess to wish the Forum members a Merry Christmas.    It was meant to be funny.    It bombed royally.  It was viewed several hundred times — apparently with stunned disgust by all of the extremely talented forum members, with only Alfred being kind enough to comment on the funny faces.   I have sometimes wondered whether anybody else grasped the humor.   Rather think not.   As for organizing fonts, I have installed Typeface 2 on my Mac, and when I get through creating a bunch of brushes from the spring flowers I will begin sorting my 610 fonts with it.    Not Alfred’s thousands, or a half million, but enough to want to see the difference between “Blackadder” and “Jefferson”  before I plant them somewhere.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

12 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

I can totally empathize!    One hour after purchasing Designer, and without even the world’s worst artistic ability, I “created” a jolly mess to wish the Forum members a Merry Christmas.    It was meant to be funny.    It bombed royally.  It was viewed several hundred times — apparently with stunned disgust by all of the extremely talented forum members, with only Alfred being kind enough to comment on the funny faces.   I have sometimes wondered whether anybody else grasped the humor.   Rather think not.   As for organizing fonts, I have installed Typeface 2 on my Mac, and when I get through creating a bunch of brushes from the spring flowers I will begin sorting my 610 fonts with it.    Not Alfred’s thousands, or a half million, but enough to want to see the difference between “Blackadder” and “Jefferson”  before I plant them somewhere.

I'd like to see that picture just so I can understand why it so stunned this community. I'm sure it's not that bad.

And yes, there are lots of truly talented people in here that are capable of producing designs and the like which truly stun me in their detail and time taken to produce them - albeit, mainly vector graphics which all I know about is the fact that the word begins with a V.

I enjoy what I do and have no aspirations about any of it. I post stuff in here simply because I can; some of my creations are more successful than others (according to the "like" button), and even if I get just one like, then I know that at least I've touched someone with one of my creations.

5 minutes ago, AffinityJules said:

I'd like to see that picture just so I can understand why it so stunned this community. I'm sure it's not that bad.

Oh yes it was that bad!  It was perfectly awful.   However, here goes, minus the typed Christmas message.    "Two aspirins and call the doctor in the morning!"   P.S.  You are definitely not obliged to say anything tactful.   I still think it is excruciatingly funny.  Actually, just excruciating.

Hopefully the spring flower brushes will be more The Thing. 

1308488301_goofyxmasDesigner.thumb.jpg.175dd901cde574a25e9697ae6f6f5c26.jpg

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

Well. . .what I would say is this: It's obvious to me - even without the Christmas greetings, that this picture shouts out humour and nothing else.

1 hour ago, AffinityJules said:

Well. . .what I would say is this: It's obvious to me - even without the Christmas greetings, that this picture shouts out humour and nothing else.

Thank you.    Here is a stem-less Siberian Iris to prove that I have progressed somewhat beyond mustard-colored cloud brushes.  Actually managed Selection Brush Tool, etc. and turned it (the flower, not the tool) into an .afbrush.    Peonies to follow.   Then hydrangeas.    Then pansies.   Then . . .    maybe somebody will put me out of my misery.   Having too much fun.

1600117573_ScreenShot2019-05-14at3_23_17PM.png.3acc7bf3bc9586a132be3aaf7ebb80bc.png

13 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

Thank you.    Here is a stem-less Siberian Iris to prove that I have progressed somewhat beyond mustard-colored cloud brushes.  Actually managed Selection Brush Tool, etc. and turned it (the flower, not the tool) into an .afbrush.    Peonies to follow.   Then hydrangeas.    Then pansies.   Then . . .    maybe somebody will put me out of my misery.   Having too much fun.

1600117573_ScreenShot2019-05-14at3_23_17PM.png.3acc7bf3bc9586a132be3aaf7ebb80bc.png

Is this image a product of the brush?

Looks good to me.

59 minutes ago, AffinityJules said:

Is this image a product of the brush?

Looks good to me.

The brush is made from a photograph of an Iris in my yard.    Dutifully selection brush tooled to get extraneous stuff out of the background, then turned into an image brush.    THIS IS FUN!   They shouldn't turn people like me loose on Photo.B|       

As a matter of observation and nothing else: this picture has got no 'likes' yet has produced the most conversation and 'likes' for the comments. So perhaps in future, I should make pictures that have intentional faults built in, you never know, it might inspire more conversations like this one. :)