You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Automatic page creation on placing a text file

I'm not sure if I'm simply missing a way to do this that's there, or if this is a feature request. For longer documents one great feature of InDesign is the ability to place a text file and have ID create as many pages as needed to accommodate the text. Can this be done in Publisher, or is it on the feature road-map?

It's certainly a feature I'd like if I'm to seriously consider switching (which my bank account would love me to do!)

Doug

28 minutes ago, Doug Chaplin said:

and have ID create as many pages as needed to accommodate the text. Can this be done in Publisher

Hi @Doug Chaplin,

this is possible. A simple example:

1. Create a new document with one page and add a text frame to it.
  2. With the text frame active select 'File > Place...' and navigate to the location of the file to import. Click on the file and 'Open'. This will import (= place) the document into the text frame.
  3. Look for the red text overflow triangle in the right bottom half of the text frame's border. Shift + click on it > this will create the amount of pages and text frames to accomodate the imported text.

I hope this helps.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil