You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

39 minutes ago, R C-R said:

...DNG is a superior backup/archival format, in part because it is an open standard, & also because DNG files tend to be smaller than the original raw files while still retaining all the raw image data within the file itself.

3. Backing up DNG metadata changes

If you save edit changes to the DNG files, this will slow down the backup process because the backup software will have to copy a complete DNG file instead of just the XMP sidecar files that otherwise accompany proprietary raw images. Personally, I believe it is better to let the Lightroom catalog file store the metadata edits rather than constantly overwrite the files referenced by the catalog. If you are in the habit of saving metadata edits to the files themselves as well, this is an important consideration, but you need to ask yourself, “In an emergency situation, where I might need to restore all my metadata edits, which is going to be the most up-to-date? The metadata that’s stored in the files, or the metadata that’s stored in the Lightroom catalog?”

Proprietary raw files that have been edited in Camera Raw or Lightroom have the metadata information stored in a compact XMP sidecar file. DNG files though incorporate the metadata information into the file header.

That was the common situation initially with DNG, which is mostly addressed by most tools own XMP sidecar file handling today. - Though in practise for other peoples here ...

...DNG is all of what was mentioned in this article so long as you stay in Lightroom. Whenever you open a DNG on other RAW converters, the color profile, tones, and pretty much everything else will not be the same as if those RAW converters were reading from the original RAW proprietary files. If you don't believe me, convert a file to DNG and open it with Capture One, Apple Photos, or anything other than Lightroom and compare that to the original RAW proprietary.

... what is similar in behavior to what I've seen in the past for DNG files used and shared among different software. It works all well together in the Adobe software world (CameraRaw, LR, Bridge) since all those do use and share the same Adobe code base there, but not that much for other RAW converter software with DNG support. - Beside that it further doesn't help alone if something is an open standard, TIFF/SVG/E(PS) etc. are too, but as you can practically see, every software has it's own problems with interpreting and showing things correctly up for those formats then too.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that the DNG format exists, the ideas behind that are good. But without greater acceptance and broad support, this is just degraded to be another format and sadly nothing more.

2 minutes ago, Miguel Angel Quintero said:

I'm so sorry for my ignorance and for being so intense but when CR3 will come out in affinity in windows thanks for your answer R C-R:D

I think he already said probably with APh v1.8, which actually is in beta for Win.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Just now, Miguel Angel Quintero said:

sorry for all and thanks:D:D:D

No need for that, you're right we drifted away from the main topic theme (sorry).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

4 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Proprietary raw files that have been edited in Camera Raw or Lightroom have the metadata information stored in a compact XMP sidecar file. DNG files though incorporate the metadata information into the file header.

That was the common situation initially with DNG, which is mostly addressed by most tools own XMP sidecar file handling today.

Nothing prevents editing software that supports both DNG & XMP sidecar files from using sidecar files with files stored in the DNG format. One does not exclude the other. This also was mentioned in one of your links.

4 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that the DNG format exists, the ideas behind that are good. But without greater acceptance and broad support, this is just degraded to be another format and sadly nothing more.

Which is why I have mentioned (more than once now) that if more camera makers supported it as their native format for raw files, we all would be better off.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 7 months later...

So spent a long time getting my head around affinity after deciding subscription photoshop is just too much.

Got my brand new R series canon today

Just this minute uploaded and there you go, all weird colour casts. Check on here and Affinity don't support CR3.

What a load of amateur, make do, can't be bothered if canon uses are incompatible.

Please tell me I am missing something here, and I'll be all things Affinity.

Any suggestons other than Photoshop?

I'll just go on a google spree and see what other compatible packages there are.

3 hours ago, PatD said:

Affinity don't support CR3.

Doesn't it open yours at all?

APhoto does open .CR3 for instance from Canon G5X mkII successfully (just ignores the file internal lens correction of this compact camera).

As a workaround you could convert your .CR3 to .DNG to use those in APhoto.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff

Hi @PatD,

Welcome to the forums :)

12 hours ago, PatD said:

Got my brand new R series canon today

These cameras have been released within the past fortnight and therefore is still brand new to the market.

Unfortunately, as can be seen from our RAW support list - 

The Canon R series have not yet been added - due to how new the camera is.

12 hours ago, PatD said:

Just this minute uploaded and there you go, all weird colour casts. Check on here and Affinity don't support CR3.

What a load of amateur, make do, can't be bothered if canon uses are incompatible.

I can confirm that Affinity does support CR3 files, simply not all CR3 camera models are yet compatible with the app.

We hope to add support for this camera model in the future, although we have no timescale for this currently.

I hope this clears things up!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 3 months later...
  • Staff
On 12/2/2020 at 12:40 AM, Knowbody said:

I've just purchased an EOS R5, and the CR3 raw files from it don't work in AF

Unfortunately your Canon EOS R5 isn't currently on our supported list. As Dan states above:

I can confirm that Affinity does support CR3 files, simply not all CR3 camera models are yet compatible with the app.

We hope to add support for this camera model in the future, although we have no timescale for this currently.

It would help if Affinity could give us a bit of hope....  Neither my 1DxIII or R5 Raw/CRAW files are supported.  This format has been around now for approaching a year, and its a complete pain having to use DPP or PS/LR.  Even the Free Faststone Image Viewer supports CR3 in RAW and CRAW).  Comments like " We hope to add support for this camera model in the future" gives little hope.... what we want is "we recongise the importance of this file format and are working hard to get this support to you as soon as possible!"

I'm glad I went for the free trial instead of purchasing this software (v1.8.5.). It will not open the CR3 files from my Canon R6, so I will not be buying it until they add my camera.

The Canon R5 and R6 are going to be popular cameras, so I hope they add it soon. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Let me take a wild guess here. Affinity Photo relies on LibRAW to open and interpret RAW files and LibRAW does not yet support CR3 files from R5 cameras.

In that case you are waiting for Serif who in turn are waiting for LibRAW to support it.

EDIT: bingo 🔗

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

1 hour ago, Jowday said:

Affinity Photo relies on LibRAW to open and interpret RAW files and LibRAW does not yet support CR3 files from R5 cameras.

Yes, and (to some extent) no.

While waiting for the initial .cr3 support from LibRAW, Serif contacted Canon and acquired some library code (or programming specifications) so they could implement their own .cr3 support. So at this point the handling of .cr3 files in Affinity seems like it might be a combination of the LibRAW code and what Serif got from Canon.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, kingcruso said:

As anyone got the cr3 files to work of the canonr5 as yet ?

It is listed as supported in the 1.9 beta but is not listed as supported in 1.8. The beta should be finalized and released soon, but is available for testing now if you own the retail 1.8.5 release.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1