You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Saved versions of files are lost

Hi there,

I'm working on AFD Beta 1.7.11 on MacBook Pro from 2018 with Mac OS X 10.14.4 and have to report a very serious problem with file saving:

After working for some days on a larger project I saved the file (to iCloud), exported a PDF and quit working for this day. The other day upon opening the file I was prompted with a dialogue box asking if I would like to restore from a previously stored version (like after a crash). Not thinking about I clicked ok and AFD opened a version of my file which reflected the status from tow days or so before – all subsequent work was lost and couldn't be restored.

I made a copy of the file leaving the original file as it was, double checked all relevant settings (i. e. restoring intervall set to 300 seconds) and started again this time working on the copy. During work I manually safed on a very regular basis every few minutes. After being ready I once again exported my work as PDF, saved and quit the app. Upon restarting the app and reopening the working copy file, once again the file didn't reflect the last saved status (the one I exported the PDF from) anymore. This time not as many parts as before where lost, but all parts done within the last two hours of work before quiting were gone. Different to the day before no prompt appeared.

I haven't used the Beta again since then but went back to 1.6.1 so I can't tell if this is file specific or not. But I can definitely confirm that the file was saved over and over again manually including the last version before quit (the one I exported the PDF from). I can also confirm there wasn't a crash or forced quit before this.

• Staff

Hi Totoff,

I'm currently in the process of trying this now (editing a file throughout the day etc), but wanted to ask a few questions:

1. Whereabouts was the file saved in your iCloud Drive? Was it the root, a custom folder you had created or was it the application created 'Affinity Designer' file?
  2. Had you at any point used Arrowheads in your document, even if you had turned them back to 'None'?
  3. I presume in the first occurrence you had still been manually using File > Save every now and again and had saved prior to closing the application down.

Would you also be willing to upload a copy of the file you made that caused the saving issues at all please? If we could get a copy, that would help in trying to reproduce the issue.

Thanks

Hi Sean,

I did upload two files:

• .afdesign - this is the one which lost about two or three hours of work
  • .pdf - this is the PDF I exported before quitting the app. By comparing it to the .afdesign file you can see how much was lost

Both files are named Konsequent Basispraesentation.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.