You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a way to include colour in a custom brush?

Hi, I’m new to AD (I use it on iPad) and I’m currently trying to learn about making custom brushes.

I’ve found some information (including some very helpful material in this forum), but nothing directly relevant to what I’m enquiring about.  Everything I found so far shows brushes defined in grayscale, but I’d like to capture color gradients in the definition of the custom brush.  Is there a way to do that?

Have I missed something (wouldn’t be the first time)?  Perhaps everyone expects to be able to re-colour a brush stroke after making it, rather than expecting it to be part of the definition of the brush?

Regards

Lionel

When you tap on the ‘hamburger’ menu icon in the Brushes Studio, you’re offered three ‘New Brush’ options: ‘Solid’, ‘Textured Intensity’ and ‘Textured Image’. The latter is the one you want. (A ‘Textured Intensity’ brush uses the luminosity values of the image as an opacity map.)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi Lionel :)

Vector brushes can't have a default colour option, as the stroke can be selected and changed post-drawing - unless you use Image brushes, in which case a 'transparent' stroke will use the original colours from the image it is comprised of!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Ok, that was a bit of an adventure, but I think I got there.

This is just an experiment (really).  I turned the attached PNG file into a “Textured Image” brush, and then made a stroke with the new brush.  The PNG consists of a combination of a fill and several strokes from standard-issue AD vector brushes - not that I could tell that by inspecting the PNG file.

So, thanks to Alfred and Dan C, your guidance helped me a lot.

Now I have to figure out if I really have a practical use for this.  That brush stroke got some laughs here; fun, but I’m not sure anyone is going to appreciate my artistic talents.

Thanks again!

Lionel

Custom Brush Stroke.afdesign

Elliptical 01.png