You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

i am about to purchase affinity for my ipad pro but i am not sure if there are funcionalitys i need.

what i want to do is: i have a digital sticker page. i want to load it into a draw program like affinity, with the lasso tool i want to cut out the sticker i need to save it to dropbox and use it in my goodnotes4/5. The sticker page looks like the attached file. Now i am using Pixelmator on my mac to do that but i want to move to my ipad. I was fond of using adobe but that is out of my ligue.

Affinity looks like it would cover all design functions i need. Can someone please help?

713ed042c6e019b9d74bbbe6a6a94cfd.jpg

• Staff

Hi ella1971,

Welcome to the forums :)

This is certainly possible using Affinity Photo for iPad and there are a few different selection methods you could use. I've linked below to a few of our tutorials showing this in action!

Selection Brush - https://affinity.serif.com/tutorials/photo/ipad/video/287262137/

Drawn Selections - https://affinity.serif.com/tutorials/designer/ipad/video/273281218/

Please note although the second video is for Affinity Designer, the functionality is exactly the same in Affinity Photo. I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Using Designer with selection brush. Less than a minute to do. :)

F614247C-1E69-4C76-B400-DBF40C196E27.png

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

thank you for such fast reply. so if i am correct the app i need is affinity design? and also does the app compares to InDesign of adobe ?

i will need the new app mainly to crop/cutout small cliparts for my digital journaling and adjusting the images, not really for photo adjustments, maby later.

• Staff

Both Affinity Photo and Designer support the same selection tools, so you do not need Designer to do the above. If you're looking to adjust images I recommend Photo over Designer, but the choice is ultimately yours :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I prefer photo for cutting out images. Given these apps are very reasonably priced, great value for the power/features offered, I recommend getting both apps. You won't regret it. :)

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

14 hours ago, ella1971 said:

does the app compares to InDesign of adobe ?

Affinity Designer is more comparable to Adobe Illustrator. Like the forthcoming Affinity Publisher (now in public beta, but not yet available for iPad) InDesign is a desktop publishing program.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

i just have last question... is it posible to trace images ? like import a drawing and i draw myself on another layer. i want to digitalize some drawings. the file i attached is from Ai, but i also want to trace from freehand.

Screenshot 2019-05-15 at 19.15.01.png

2 minutes ago, ella1971 said:

i just have last question... is it posible to trace images ?

There’s no auto-trace feature in the Affinity apps, if that’s what you’re asking.

Alfred spacer.png

Both is possible, autotracing with the help of a third party app, or instead tracing manually by hand. - For manual tracing, just load the image or a portion of the image you want to trace, lock it into a background layer and adjust it's view transparency (so it does not bother when you draw above it) and redraw the portions you are interested in on top of that.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

19 hours ago, v_kyr said:

For manual tracing, just load the image or a portion of the image you want to trace, lock it into a background layer and adjust it's view transparency (so it does not bother when you draw above it) and redraw the portions you are interested in on top of that.

Alternatively, draw on new layers below the reference image, so that parts of the image are not obscured by any fills applied to the new objects.

Alfred spacer.png