You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When placing a PDF (advert) with bleed and crop marks, Affinity Publisher only places the file as cropped. Is this intentional?

This is very unexpected and I can see how it can be useful in some situations.

However, It is far more useful to me to have the bleed and crop marks showing. I have only been able to resolve this by converting the file to eps.

That would be very useful, but I don't have a lot of things I see on your context bar.

Why is my context bar so lacking? I am up-to-date with the beta upgrades.

The text wrap icon is also missing from mine since the last upgrade.

1131812134_ScreenShot2019-05-13at10_21_44.thumb.png.5d7b1183faadcda45984a1f7f9b9d4d6.png

Do not mix up context bar and tool bar. See image. Red marked is toolbar, which you can customise under menu View -> Customise Toolbar. The one marked in green is the context bar, which visibility you can only toggle on and off in Menu View. The context bar depends on the element you have selected. For picture frame you get the options for ... what else ... picture frame and for Placed Documents you get the context options for ... what else ... placed documents.

bars.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

It depends on how you place a document. In your case have a look at the Layers panel and select the layer with the document inside the Picture Frame layer. Done so, the context options should appear.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

No, I have the layer selected as you suggest and there are no such context items.

The document is also boxed when placing direct without a picture frame. Only with PDF format however.

Perhaps this option is not yet available on the Mac version if you are using PC.

1 hour ago, AnGwer said:

However, even when a picture frame is selected (as in my previous attachment) I still do not have these 'box' options on my context bar.

When you have a picture frame selected, the Context toolbar will be populated with options related to picture frames. You need to make sure that nothing is selected.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

9 minutes ago, Alfred said:

When you have a picture frame selected, the Context toolbar will be populated with options related to picture frames. You need to make sure that nothing is selected.

That makes no sense to me because this option I do not have is related to picture frames. I do not have the 'box' options in the context bar whether a picture frame is selected or not.

No, this option you do not have is related to the document inside the picture frame. There are (normally) two ways inserting a PDF. Use the "Place Image Tool" from tools, then you have the options at once. Or you make a picture frame and then place the PDF inside. In this case with "Move" tool active have a look at the Layers panel (see image) and click the document layer.

layers.jpg

------

17 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

No, this option you do not have is related to the document inside the picture frame. There are (normally) two ways inserting a PDF. Use the "Place Image Tool" from tools, then you have the options at once. Or you make a picture frame and then place the PDF inside. In this case with "Move" tool active have a look at the Layers panel (see image) and click the document layer.

layers.jpg

I have no such options whatever I select or don't select in the layers panel. It is clearly missing from my version.