You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Creating outline and saving as jpg Affinity Photo

I am not only new to Affinity Photo I have never used professional graphic design software before.  I am also not very artistic!  I want to import a scanned image or picture, create an outline of the image and export the outline as a jpg.  I have learned to use the selection tool to create the outline but cannot turn this outline into a solid black line to export as a shape/picture.  Is it possible?  Any help would be very much appreciated.

Edited by Digas

There are probably much better ways to do this, but this is a quick & dirty way:

1. Optionally, use the Flood Select (magic wand) Tool & Select > Refine Selection > Smooth Selection option to create a 'marching ants' pixel selection that comfortably contains the image you want to outline, then create the outline from your selection using Select > Outline with a radius of a few pixels, as you have learned to do.
  2. Add a Pixel Layer from the Layer > New Layer menu item or by clicking the Add Pixel Layer button at the bottom of the Layers panel.
  3. With this layer still selected, switch to the Paint Brush Tool & paint over the 'marching ants' selection with black (or the color of your choice).
  4. Turn off visibility for the background layer so you can see just the layer you created with the outline .
  5. Optionally, apply a Gaussian Blur to get a less jagged outline & go over it with the Burn Brush tool to make the edges less blurry.
  6. From here you can export just this layer, or copy it & use File > New From Clipboard if you want to keep the original, etc.

The attached stone house outline.afphoto file includes the history so you can use the history slider to see how it was created.

Image credit: https://pixabay.com/photos/stone-house-house-turf-roof-4193002/  by Peggy Choucair

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you so much.  I've just tried this and it worked perfectly.  I've been trying for about 2 weeks and only just plucked up courage to use the Forum.  I think I've got my work cut out to get up to scratch with this software!