You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Need easy way to edit Curves to get a transparency frame (Designer)

Hi, I'm new to vector grafics and Affinity Designer, so I mostly think in pixels O.o

I converted a jpg into a svg (8 grey curves) an imported it into AD. So in AD I get 8 curves with different shapes in grey tones and transparency which in totally represent my jpg .

My current problem is that I want a transparency background around the object it self, as the jpg is a picture of an object on a white background. (So if I would do this in pixel I just would use my fill tool and fill the white frame with transparency until it hits the outline of the object.)

So far what I have already tried to do:

1) Delete the rectangular curve of the frame -> this inverts the shapes with transparency and white (greys) and I'm stuck again

2) Split the curves via menu into separate curve (one shape) -> alle shapes are now filled white and as there a lot of them I'm stuck again.

I hope anyone can understand my problem I've tried to describe and more over can help me.

As I have to do this with at least four pictures I would prefer a more ore less automated solution. For clarification I attached a sample.

Thanks 

tuba_silber_vectorized_grau.svg

Thanks, terrific !

Just one more question, please remember I am a newbie :D

It nearly worked :35_thinking:

Either I missed something in step 6 or I am too stupid for step 9.

In step 6: I selected all new objects, which were created by divide. Is this wrong?

Step 9:  Now the highlights on the tuba are transparant (not white)

And is there a easy way to select objects in the drawing (ex. double click) and see it highlighted on the canvas/page?

Thanks for you help

Hi, LeeScoresby,

(Edit: I thought I posted this a couple of hours ago, but here it is anyway. What happens, I 'spose, when working on a morning coffee and vector work.)

I gave it a try. Not a fun set of objects to work w. In the end, I made a couple of mistakes, because I was having troubles telling which white shapes were glints on the surface, and which were white areas that needed to de transparent.

Attached is my attempt, w. flaws. Here's what I did to get the results. I duplicated the top layer till I had a copy for itself and each layer below. I then began doing a boolean subtraction w. a copy on each of the lower layers. Because of the way the .svg stack was made, that subtraction cut away any part of the under layer that was no the layers color. This is easy enough to do. The hard part was at the end. I had to figure out how to cut away the open areas within the tuba body outline, but leave the white glints. In other words, I had to cut a portion of the topmost image away from its duplicate. I see from the result that I messed up somewhere, and subtracted a few glints, and not the background, so there are a couple of transparent areas where there should white. I put in a patch white rectangle in the layer stack to fill that.

The .svg structure was unusual ti me. More often, I find the layers stacked light to dark on top, which means the background is transparent.

tuba_silber_vectorized_grau.afdesign

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Hi gdenby,

I am quite new to vector grafics, or at least to grafic design. 

So to step 6 I selected all as you wrote shift-click and this selected all :(.

So now I tried do select only the holes in step 6 (cmd-click on MAC), I clicked on every shape in the right side list to select and if no hole I clicked again to deselect. Not a fun work, and finally Affinity Designer crashed.... 

Yes of course I saw your attached work and so much thanks for it. But I have three more of this kind and I want to be able to do it by my own. So I am trying to understand what you have done and I know I have a lot to learn, please keep patient with me. :)

I keep trying...

Thanks  

I tried to make it easy, but this is really a difficult file. As I mentioned, I had a lot of trouble figuring out what white parts were supposed to be part of the back ground, and which were tube high lites. Check out the attached. The top layer, colored orange, needs to be duplicated. The glints, selected as nodes, need to be wipes out. Then that layer gets subtracted from its self, leaving the original whit layer part.

Screen Shot 2019-05-12 at 1.23.31 PM.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

Huion WH1409 tablet

4 hours ago, >|< said:

Try my method - it's not difficult at all and takes less than a minute.

Ah, just checked back after a long day entertaining family. Yes, that does it. Your method selects the parts that are needed, much easier than selecting all the un-needed ones. 

Huion WH1409 tablet