Jump to content

Designer freezes when working on a file on Google Drive File Stream

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
  • When using Affinity Designer 1.6.5 with Google Drive File Stream on MacOS Mojave 10.14.4 (apfs and FileVault enabled) on a Macbook Pro 13" 2018. 
  • The following steps reproduce the problem every time with any document.
  • As a new user I cannot comment on possible regressions from previous Designer versions.

Opening an afdesign file to work on from the Google Drive File Stream share and then saving changes, results in a file to be uploaded by File Stream. Next selecting the Export Persona to save all exports from this design, results in the MacOS folder selection dialog box being shown. And here the Affinity Designer application freezes if the directory shown or selected is on File Stream.

The same problem does not present itself when reproducing these steps either on a local drive or when File Stream is done uploading the changes before the folder selection dialog appears.

Edited by averstuyf

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @averstuyf,

Welcome to the forums and sorry for the delayed reply. 

This issue came up on the forums before: 

On 3/20/2018 at 11:58 AM, Chris B said:

Unfortunately at this time, we will not be singing up to this service. If you believe there is another way I can help you I would be happy to help but if you feel like this issue is restricted to the Google File Stream service I'm not sure what I can do to assist you for now.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the response. 

The symptoms mentioned in the other filed issue seem quite different.

I also filed bug reports with Apple as the problems could be related to APFS and the virtual file system, and Google in regards to their implementation. Nobody has taken ownership, or as far as I can see, even investigated.

It looks like this will have to be filed under known incompatibilities.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you tried using the 1.7 Beta RC to see if the same issues exist?


SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


Important Information

These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.