You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have been to the Camerabits/Photomechanic forum and it appears as a user of that application the Affinity photofiles; afphoto cannot be read by Photomechanic which is a photo management application. Is there any update that permits me to review files stored as afphoto using Photomechanic?

thanks all!

Jan N

afphoto files do not open in photomechanic .png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I have asked Camerabits if they would support Affinity Photo files, so we'll have to wait and see what I get back. :)

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

6 hours ago, firstdefence said:

I have asked Camerabits if they would support Affinity Photo files, so we'll have to wait and see what I get back. :)

They’re on version 6 now, not sure if they would release another update for 5 just to add file support.

Hi First Defense, Stokeyh and mikerofoto, thanks for the feedback it's appreciated. FWIW initially I was a Light Room user along with PhotoShop. With my recent 'conversion' to a new enlightened path for photo management and editing I began with Camera bits. Initially I wasn't sure about this app but after a year I believe it's excellent and has been fast and accurate in all functions I require. Although I was initially reluctant I now I recommend it. Similarly I have been slowly moving over to Affinity from Photoshop and I'm now near the "tipping point". I've got Affinity set up as the default editor when using Camerabits/Photomechanic. It's very smooth between the two as long as I use other formats like jpg, png, tiff etc. for saving the file. However this means I have two files for each image a jpg and afphoto. I'd like to eliminate the intermediate step.

I'll drop a note to Kirk Baker at photomechanic and let him know how I'm using Affinity. Frankly there's been a lot of discussion on various forums regarding opting out of Adobe and Affinity is one solution I recommend.

Photo Mechanic rocks, its very quick and a lot of my pro photo buddies swear by it. It would be a big plus for Affinity and Camera bits if they both supported each other.

• 5 weeks later...

It appears as though the workflow from Camera bits (Photomechanic 6) to Affinity photo is broken. I was reading this forum and Camera Bits and not sure how to get both parties to talk with each other so we can see our AF files in PM6. 

If Affinity is to evolve, this type of support is required. PM6 is evolving into a very fast DAM in the near future. 

BTW, loving the new release V1.7. Not sure what you did under the hood but am quite happy so far.

Thx

• 1 year later...

I am considering buying all three applications, I do need to know

1.) I can import into Affinity Photo from Photo Mechanic 6 (PM6).

I have already installed and paid for Affinity Photo for my iPad..for futzing around while on location. (now wondering if this was a mistake)

I really need to know Other wise this is a non starter.

BTY, the trial Product key does not work on my Mac laptop...both Key and email ARE correct

MacOS 10.13.6

Edited by feet Paws
what OS I am unable to use trial product key for

On 6/11/2019 at 10:01 PM, micheal.hd said:

It appears as though the workflow from Camera bits (Photomechanic 6) to Affinity photo is broken. I was reading this forum and Camera Bits and not sure how to get both parties to talk with each other so we can see our AF files in PM6.

Not really broken but does not plain exist. Serif has told they are not going to open Affinity file format for third parties so PM is not going to be able to read file contents. Instead they should be able to read preview image which while at the moment is a bit lowres but very helpful anyway. Reading preview needs some code but should not be too complicated.

Edit: sorry. I read this wrong ways. From PM > AP it should work.

2 hours ago, feet Paws said:

This is the setup for Photo Mechanic 6 (PM6) and as you can see You can easily set Affinity Photo as the default editor from PM6image.png.83db2de653513f78ba5e42c3df0493fa.png

As you can see simply right-clicking on an image gives you the option to launch and transfer to Affinity Photo. Edit Photo does the same thing as edit photo with...

image.png.a2463efb7d88c772c24385e18fa3c9d3.png

7 hours ago, feet Paws said:

I am considering buying all three applications, I do need to know

I have already installed and paid for Affinity Photo for my iPad..for futzing around while on location. (now wondering if this was a mistake)

I really need to know Other wise this is a non starter.

BTY, the trial Product key does not work on my Mac laptop...both Key and email ARE correct

MacOS 10.13.6

if you're using a mac.. left click on the image showing in PM.. it should open a dialogue box. Like this. Select the application you want to use for the image and it loads. I have CS5 and Affinity. Both open from PM. Cheers!

Screen Shot 2021-02-28 at 9.37.35 AM.png

You can also configure PM6 to open apps based on file type.

• 1 month later...

Coming back to the original topic which is quite a pain: After at least 3 years of existance of Affinity Products .afphoto-Files still can't be previewed in PM. That's a No-Go as bothe programs are KEY to escape Adobes subscription trap. So far I can't understand why Affinity doesn't let me save files under jpg or other open and well documented file formats - but that is obviously another discussion. 

On behalf of the makers of PM since 2017 (!): they state that Affinity isn't passing them the documentation that is necessary to preview .afphoto-Files

Is that true? 

Confused, Sebstian

7 hours ago, Leaving-Adobe said:

So far I can't understand why Affinity doesn't let me save files under jpg or other open and well documented file formats - but that is obviously another discussion. 

Affinity certainly can export to JPEG, TIF, & several other standard formats. Why do you think it cannot?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, Leaving-Adobe said:

As I wrote: it CAN NOT SAVE as.

No, not "Save as" but definitely "Export to," including a bunch of options, plus a dedicated Export Persona uin AD & AP.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...