You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pattern of cats

Josie,

You should export as SVG only if it's mainly vector (and the file will not weight as much as your file) , if your image is mainly pixels, then exporting as PNG or JPG is fine.

You can also use brushes for fur like those for pixels:

Poils_et_Fourure.afbrushes

Or more complexe ones you can find here:

or here (vector ones):

As exercice, you can work on this larger picture than the one you posted:

aquarelle-chats_2048x2048.jpg.8234b703e4df7e436d38f600e53795a1.jpg

2 hours ago, Josie said:

This is what I’ve done so fargreencat.pdfUntitled.pdf

2 hours ago, Josie said:

I asked you — twice! — for Affinity (*.af*) files, Josie. Why are you posting PDFs?? o.O

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

It's a work of patience… stroke after stroke.

Vector strokes can be larger and use for background of the cat.
Some rectangles and gradients for the general background.
And finer strokes for the details.

First you can do the vectors strokes (hiding the other layers but the original picture).
And Working on the pixels and finer strokes (hiding the others ones).

Once you're happy with the result, it's done! :)

Here's an example. It would need a last layer with finer details, since when we paint large strokes, we can't see the original!

aquarelle-chats_2048x2048.afdesign

Josie, i feel like maybe someone told you that graphic design is an easy side hustle and so you decided to dive in thinking it would be easy. If that's the case, this isn't the side hustle for you. If you really are interested in art and design, you will take the time to learn how to use the programs one step at a time and build your way up to doing those cat pictures. I found a couple of very specific cat painting tutorial for you at these links. It's for ipad even. Watch, learn and practice. LOTS of practice. You are NOT going to make art that looks like those pictures you posted any time soon. Be patient.

It's the main idea to learn to do it, once you'll feel more confident you'll be able to do it with different pictures as model in the same way, or using and mixing different pictures as inspiration as in the video :)

Comment: I choose the rainbow cat as begining exercise since it tend less to get real cat colours in the end, and focuse more on the strokes and colours. It's fun and easier to get satisfying results.
A second exercise would be to do it with the real colours of a cat.

Edited by Wosven
Added comment

5 hours ago, Josie said:

And do I place the original picture underneath all the pixel layers while painting over the picture but not on the original picture?

Yes!

Affinity Photo (iPad version):

Affinity Designer (iPad version):

23 hours ago, Josie said:

Is there a way to make a cat in the form of an alien using the iPad in affinity designer or photo?

Yes! Many, many ways. How will depend, as formerly suggested, on your software knowledge, artistic skill, and envisaged output.

For example:

• Take a photo of a cat, draw on (raster or vector) antennae, as per My Favorite Martian. Ta-da! Alien cat.
  • Paint green spots or stripes on a photo of a cat, maybe using @Wosven's fur brushes, painting on another layer above the photo and experimenting with blending modes: Ta-da! Alien cat. Your green cat with purple ears is a good example of this technique.
  • As per @Alfred's instructions for the astronaut cat, merge a cut-out photo of a cat's head with a photo of an octopus, or a close-up photo of an ant. Ta-da! Alien cat.
  • Paint it as original art. Use your own pencil sketch of an alien cat and @Pariah73 's painting tutorial.

5 minutes ago, Josie said:

How do I remove just the head off an object without removing the whole thing?

Choose the Rectangle Tool and drag out a rectangle covering the part of the object that you want to keep. Select the two layers and choose the ‘Intersect’ command.

Alfred spacer.png

11 minutes ago, Josie said:

The erase brush tool has a white fill and when I click the no fill it doesn’t do that.

You can’t erase with a ‘No Fill’ brush, so it wouldn’t make any sense for that option to be enabled.

Alfred spacer.png

53 minutes ago, Josie said:

How do I put a cat inside a donut using images?

If you wanted the cat image to fill the outer (ring) area of the donut the method would be exactly the same as for putting it inside a heart shape. To make the cat appear in the hole in the middle of the donut, just put the donut layer on top of the cat layer and make sure it has a non-transparent fill.

Edit: When you say “using images”, do you mean you want to use a photo of a donut, as in the attached screenshot, rather than a shape drawn with the Donut Tool?

4A0E9595-26DE-489F-9B30-861D80E2B1F3.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png

37 minutes ago, Josie said:

When I intersect after putting the rectangle around the photo it disappears 

I’m not sure what’s happening there! Try nesting the photo inside the rectangle layer, or masking the photo layer with the rectangle.

Alfred spacer.png