You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Portrait of a lady

lady_1.thumb.png.f1de934687493e4b5ab43ee095789810.png

I produced this image by first producing an outline using several of the tool shapes.

I used the trapezoid for the lady's dress; two rectangles, an ellipse and a triangle for her skin; a crescent for her hair and a circle for her eye. Alas there is no "Quick grid" so I used a table for the window frame, though I could not seem to get the corners quite right. I then used the Pen tool to produce the shapes that I wanted by going round, or nearby, the regular shape so as to make the curves look more natural than strict mathematical lines, then deleting the original shape, though I did have a record as I had saved the original outline design as a separate document. I then altered some of the points in the shapes that I had produced so as to get the finished image. Finally I added a rectangle for the wall behind her, though that then led to needing to sort out the view through the window as that is done using a rectangle behind a transparent table object. That leaves the possibility that a future such image could have a view through the window that has something like a tree or a mountain in the distance. 

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

Where the green of her dress meets the wall, there is a thin dark line. This appears to be because the system is trying to make a number of pixels part way between the green and the red. Is there any way to get rid of this?

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

19 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Portrait of a lady

Definitely not a Renaissance lady! ;)

19 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Alas there is no "Quick grid" so I used a table for the window frame, though I could not seem to get the corners quite right.

If you’re referring to the corners being rounded, you can make them square by changing the Join style. :)

8 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Where the green of her dress meets the wall, there is a thin dark line. This appears to be because the system is trying to make a number of pixels part way between the green and the red. Is there any way to get rid of this?

Use a different background colour, perhaps? :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

21 hours ago, Alfred said:

Definitely not a Renaissance lady! ;)

For readers who are not aware, Alfred is making a friendly nod to a font that I made which I named as Sonnet to a Renaissance Lady.

In fact, the font is free to use and can be obtained without any need to register from the following link.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/SONNETRL.TTF

As Alfred had mentioned the font I got the idea of making a copy of the original lady_1.afpub file as lady_2.afpub and then in the copy grouping the items in the picture, scaling the picture down to about 40% of its linear size, and moving it to about half-way down and with its right edge at the right margin line.

I then had the idea of adding a text box, use the font Sonnet to a Renaissance Lady at 24 point and add some text - filler text at first - and then try to have the text so that it goes around the picture so as to produce a nice page with the text and the picture. If I could learn the technique I could then change the text to something suitable and make an image and post it in this thread.

Here is the result.

lady_2.thumb.png.1264ac761ed40faa76dabf96bb84fdef.png

There is now a PDF version of the document on the web and the display is clearer as the PDF document is completely vector-based.

PDF version on the web

There is also a PDF version of the complete picture on the web. It is completely vector-based.

PDF version on the web of the original picture

The colours are jarring to the eyes, even as a vector you will get a dark line as the eyes try to resolve where the colours meet.
As an example I changed the colours to create less of an assault on the retinas. O.o

Screen-Shot-2019-05-12-at-09-53-41.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 2 weeks later...

I have just tried an experiment.

I opened the .afpub file for the picture of the lady with the text and copied the image of the lady onto the clipboard.

I then pasted that image into a PagePlus X7 document. A new one with nothing in it.

The image was almost A4 in size. I made it smaller.

So far so good. An image produced using the Pen Tool in Affinity Publisher can be added in to a PagePlus X7 document.

I then tried producing a PDF document and it worked but is 30.14 kilobytes, while the original PDF directly from Affinity Publisher is 7.74 kilobytes and the version with the text directly from Affinity Publisher is 17.83 kilobytes.

So I wondered why.

However, emlarging the display in Adobe Reader greatly shows that the images produced from Affinity Publisher are vector and stay nice at very large sizes yet the image produced from PagePlus X7 goes blocky, so appears to be a bit map image.

Why is this please? Why did the image end up as a bitmap image rather than stay as a vector image?

William

The problem is considered and a work-around found in the following thread.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/86113-copying-a-vector-pen-tool-generated-image-to-pageplus-ends-up-as-a-bitmap/ 

William