You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hand-tool shortcut missing in text-edit mode

Hi,

Could you add a keyboard shortcut for the Hand-tool while in a text frame?

InDesign uses the ALT key for this, as the spacebar will add spaces. I'm really missing this feature.
Otherwise we always have to leave the text frame to be able to pan with the Hand-tool.

Thanks in advance.

Patrick

PS: Affinity Designer has the same 'problem'. :)

Edited by Pattex

38 minutes ago, Pattex said:

InDesign uses the ALT key for this, as the spacebar will add spaces. I'm really missing this feature.
Otherwise we always have to leave the text frame to be able to pan with the Hand-tool.

You can press the Esc (Escape) key, which will leave text-editing mode but leave the Text Frame Tool and the Text Frame selected. Then pan using the space bar, then click in the frame again to resume text editing.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

This seems like a good idea to me. Can anyone think of a reason while using the opt-dragging/alt-dragging while in text input would be bad or counteract some other functionality?

I also didn't know this worked in InDesign. Now I'm going to start using it. Thanks!

On 5/11/2019 at 1:21 PM, Pattex said:

Doesn't pressed mouse scroll wheel or trackpad (2 fingers) work to pan without leaving the text frame?
(works to me in macOS)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

17 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Doesn't pressed mouse scroll wheel or trackpad (2 fingers) work to pan without leaving the text frame?
(works to me in macOS)

Trackpad works, but with a scroll wheel, you can only move in one axis, which may or may not be what is needed. Of course, one can scroll up or down by default and left and right while also holding shift.

MS Basic Optical Mouse 2.0 can move in any direction with just mouse scroll wheel pressed, but the limit are the edges of the window in contrast to the Pan tool where you can move without a limit.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

4 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

This seems like a good idea to me. Can anyone think of a reason while using the opt-dragging/alt-dragging while in text input would be bad or counteract some other functionality?

I also didn't know this worked in InDesign. Now I'm going to start using it. Thanks!

You're welcome.

This is also the reason why the Hand-tool in QuarkXPress is the ALT key. It ALWAYS works. In a textframe or not.

• 1 year later...

I too miss this OPTION/ALT feature.

As I mostly hold a wacom pen instead of a mouse, I have assigned the pan/scroll feature to one of the pen buttons.

Works fine, but pressing the alt key is just more comfortable than using one of the pen buttons.

Macbook Pro mid 2015, 16 GB, double barrel: MacOS Mojave + Affinity 1 (+ Adobe’s CS6)/ MacOS Monterey + Affinity 2