Pattex

Hand-tool shortcut missing in text-edit mode

Hi,

Could you add a keyboard shortcut for the Hand-tool while in a text frame?

InDesign uses the ALT key for this, as the spacebar will add spaces. I'm really missing this feature.
Otherwise we always have to leave the text frame to be able to pan with the Hand-tool.

Thanks in advance.

Patrick

PS: Affinity Designer has the same 'problem'. :)

Edited by Pattex

38 minutes ago, Pattex said:

InDesign uses the ALT key for this, as the spacebar will add spaces. I'm really missing this feature.
Otherwise we always have to leave the text frame to be able to pan with the Hand-tool.

You can press the Esc (Escape) key, which will leave text-editing mode but leave the Text Frame Tool and the Text Frame selected. Then pan using the space bar, then click in the frame again to resume text editing.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.734 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.734 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.742 Beta.

I know. As I said: "Otherwise we always have to leave the text frame to be able to pan with the Hand-tool."

But this is a dirty workaround. Moreover you loose the last cursor position.

Leaving the text frame to be able to pan around is like eating a soup with a fork.

There's a spoon for the soup.

Spoon missing for now. :)

This seems like a good idea to me. Can anyone think of a reason while using the opt-dragging/alt-dragging while in text input would be bad or counteract some other functionality?

I also didn't know this worked in InDesign. Now I'm going to start using it. Thanks!

On 5/11/2019 at 1:21 PM, Pattex said:

Doesn't pressed mouse scroll wheel or trackpad (2 fingers) work to pan without leaving the text frame?
(works to me in macOS)

macOS 10.14.6, Macbook Pro Retina 15" + Eizo 24", Affinity in Separated Mode (documents merged)

17 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Doesn't pressed mouse scroll wheel or trackpad (2 fingers) work to pan without leaving the text frame?
(works to me in macOS)

Trackpad works, but with a scroll wheel, you can only move in one axis, which may or may not be what is needed. Of course, one can scroll up or down by default and left and right while also holding shift.

MS Basic Optical Mouse 2.0 can move in any direction with just mouse scroll wheel pressed, but the limit are the edges of the window in contrast to the Pan tool where you can move without a limit.

4 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

This seems like a good idea to me. Can anyone think of a reason while using the opt-dragging/alt-dragging while in text input would be bad or counteract some other functionality?

I also didn't know this worked in InDesign. Now I'm going to start using it. Thanks!

You're welcome.

This is also the reason why the Hand-tool in QuarkXPress is the ALT key. It ALWAYS works. In a textframe or not.

I too miss this OPTION/ALT feature.

As I mostly hold a wacom pen instead of a mouse, I have assigned the pan/scroll feature to one of the pen buttons.

Works fine, but pressing the alt key is just more comfortable than using one of the pen buttons.