You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Are there any other programs/apps that use the identical Refine Selection Dialog? Is this something Serif developed to be unique to their programs? I happen to like this tool, and I'm not insinuating Serif took this from some other software. But I found this in another and right now due to NDA, can not disclose where, and it's the first I've seen such a duplication. 

ap_selectrefine.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

I think you answered your own question o.O Many apps will have these features, I know Adobe Photoshop CC has a refine selection option from the selection tools context menu called Select and Mask, "Shift Edges" in adobe does a similar thing to ramp in Affinity.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

3 hours ago, firstdefence said:

I think you answered your own question o.O Many apps will have these features, I know Adobe Photoshop CC has a refine selection option from the selection tools context menu called Select and Mask, "Shift Edges" in adobe does a similar thing to ramp in Affinity.

So it's common for even the UI to be copied?

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

There are only a limited number of practical layouts to place buttons, sliders and numerical entry boxes so yes it would be quite common. Why else would you have those features in a lot of the photo apps. You can have people try and do fancy things with a UI but when it is condensed down to the most economical layout everyone is going to end up with something similar.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

16 hours ago, firstdefence said:

but when it is condensed down to the most economical layout everyone is going to end up with something similar.

There's a big difference between similar and identical (copied?)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:48 AM, Ron P. said:

and I'm not insinuating Serif took this from some other software

Could the other software have taken it from Serif? 

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Well, in the other software, it looks almost identical to Serif's. They call it Selection Refinement, and it doesn't have the Ramp. I suspected something because it wasn't in the previous version, and it does not work very well. It just seems for developers to have created this, it should work for the most part. Since it doesn't it gives me the suspicion of being copied, and trying to get it to work.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:48 AM, Ron P. said:

Are there any other programs/apps that use the identical Refine Selection Dialog?

1 minute ago, Ron P. said:

Well, in the other software, it looks almost identical to Serif's.

So it's identical and almost identical

A bit like the Schrodinger's cat paradox

2 minutes ago, carl123 said:

So it's identical and almost identical

A bit like the Schrodinger's cat paradox

Ok since we're splitting hairs (or hares), :) it's almost. I'd post a screenshot, but don't want to get into some NDA violation trouble. The software is in private beta.

almost identical = similar ;)

ap_selectrefine.jpg.b933f76aff02d07a5365350ffbcb5118.jpgYes similar, as in;

afflook.jpg

1 minute ago, Ron P. said:

Yes similar, as in;

afflook.jpg

Did the NDA just expire?

Or is this another almost identical, identical copy of the similar Refine Selection Dialog?

No it didn't, but I'm not disclosing where this second screenshot came from. Probably not a big concern. I don't know how specific a copyright is to programs. If they're allowed to produce very similar UI's. You see how this is similar? How many other software's have that degree of similarity?

I think the answer was well-summarised by @firstdefence.

17 hours ago, firstdefence said:

There are only a limited number of practical layouts to place buttons, sliders and numerical entry boxes so yes it would be quite common. Why else would you have those features in a lot of the photo apps. You can have people try and do fancy things with a UI but when it is condensed down to the most economical layout everyone is going to end up with something similar.

I doubt if there is anything more to add to this.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

12 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

I think the answer was well-summarised by @firstdefence.

I doubt if there is anything more to add to this.

John

Innovators create new designs, dialogues, icons, logos, functions, code and routines - others just copy them, in part or in whole.

Apple is a good example of this with its computers, laptops, iPods, iPhones, iPads, software etc.

Also ask Serif why it created it's own file format rather than just base it on something already done by someone else.

12 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Also ask Serif why it created it's own file format rather than just base it on something already done by someone else.

Isn't it the interoperability between affinity apps, bearing in mind I doubt Affinity will stop at 3 apps.

8 hours ago, carl123 said:

Could the other software have taken it from Serif? 

“Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.”   Somebody said that.   Maybe The Venerable Bede?

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

1 minute ago, jmwellborn said:

“Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.”   Somebody said that.   Maybe The Venerable Bede?

I believe he was quoting someone....

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

To answer the original question: IMO, yes it's odd for a software UI to have that degree of similarity. Legal battles have been fought over less.

Will anything come of this? Who knows. It would have to come to the attention of the right people at Serif, and whether they'd choose to pursue it depends on lots of variables and priorities that we are not privy to. I'm sure it would also depend on whether this is the only copied feature.

If it's just this one dialog box, my guess is that Serif would care enough to send a legal letter, to which the other company would abide, and that would be the end of it.

But again, who knows.

If you are personally invested in the success of this other software, it's worth mentioning this to the developer. (And to Serif, I guess, depending on where your loyalties lie and whether you are permitted to do so by the NDA).

3 hours ago, EBC said:

Legal battles have been fought over less.

Apple v. Microsoft. 'Twas a yellow duck if I recall correctly.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

9 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Apple v. Microsoft. 'Twas a yellow duck if I recall correctly.

That's just quackers  rubber_duck.png.b64bb9f2be8e8c2f146c3c22c369c3f3.png