You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Could I constantly use the beta version for free?

Granted, I'm not a professional editor. If I purchased this app from Mac App Store at a price of $49.99, it would be a rip off. Nonetheless, I found the beta version is quite awesome. I mean I really enjoy trying some new features before the formal version to be released, even though this version is not stable. So, I wanna ask if I could use Affinity Designer Beta as a free version constantly. If this beta version end up, there will be a new beta version, right? And could I persistently use these up-to-date beta versions without additional charge? 

• Staff

Hello DSNGBYCD,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The Beta version of Affinity Designer will work as a 10 day trial for those who haven't purchased it through the Mac App Store. For customers it will work without time restrictions (the Mac App Store version must remain installed). New betas will not extend this trial time.

Only Affinity Photo can be used freely (public beta) until its first release on the Mac App Store. After that point it will only be available as a Customer Beta like Affinity Designer.

Are you saying that the App Store version is not worth $50 but the beta version is? I'm a bit surprised, as it's not long since we updated the App Store. In a few months we'll be updating the App Store version again, and they'll be the same for a while. Or are you saying neither version is worth $50 but either would be good for free? Or do you just like the fun of being on the beta and seeing new features as they come out? I'm just curious.

• 2 months later...

Rip-off is a bit strong. I'm only a hobbyist and AD is still cheaper, than its Windows cousin Serif DrawPlus (only reason for having Bootcamp).

AD is faster, slicker and is more pro than DP; it does have fewer features than what people want at the moment (Hence the roadmap) and less than a year old (October 2104) . AD is punching well above its weight.

Not bad for Version 1, eh?

This was one app I had to buy straight away...

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.