You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot Save Designer File on Mac...Please Help

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to allow ACCESS to save a working file onto my Mac. This should be a mainstay feature of a software right?! I have allowed access on my drive for affinity's applications already through my system preferences. I can export files in different formats, but I want to save a working file in Affinity's native format so I can open and tweak it for different uses in the future...Pleas HELP!!

I have attached a screenshot of the error I keep receiving. I am on the latest updated version of Mac OS

Thank you

Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 10.22.15 AM.png

4 hours ago, borderlandphoto said:

I have allowed access on my drive for affinity's applications already through my system preferences.

There should be no need to change anything in System Preferences to allow saving Affinity format files to any folder the current user has sufficient permission to write to. What, if anything, did you change that would affect this, & how specifically did you do that?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Have you looked at your "Sharing and Permissions" for the enclosing folders? If you own the upper level directory "chrstopheralmaraz" you should be able to grant access to any sub folder. The application will write to any directory the user owns.

There is a possibility that there has been a directory corruption. Run the Disk Utility app, and do a repair. Messed up permissions used to be pretty common, but I haven't had one for over 10 years.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

3 minutes ago, gdenby said:

There is a possibility that there has been a directory corruption. Run the Disk Utility app, and do a repair.

Unfortunately, Disk Utility's repair function does not touch the permissions of folders in a user's home folder. However, Apple provides a way to reset them to the defaults.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you both for your replies. I did find a solution to this. Somehow permissions were changed when I had moved the parent folder to my external drive. Once I duplicated and put it back everything was ok. Now that I know it has something to do with my externals and how I backup I will play with it more on that side and see what is happening in my External drive settings.