You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Fixx

I cut out a round selection in Affinity Photo. To export, it has to be a PNG to keep the blank background. It appears on the desktop but then it goes nowhere else, just sits there - cannot put it in a folder etc. So, when I want to upload it to Photobox (albums), I cannot get at it 'cos it is nowhere but the screen and will not go to the Desktop Folder. Jpegs will. Photobox accepts PNG's.

Llattif

7 minutes ago, Llattif said:

It appears on the desktop but then it goes nowhere else, just sits there - cannot put it in a folder etc.

Do you mean you have a folder — either on the Desktop or elsewhere — into which you want to put the picture, but when you try to cut and paste (or drag and drop) the picture doesn’t move? :/

As @firstdefence has pointed out, the file name is rather long and complicated. Simplifying it may not help to resolve the issue, but it would be a good idea anyway.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, Fixx said:

This discussion sounds strange – like "png stays in desktop but does not appear in desktop folder" – is the desktop folder as a mac user would understand it? That is, contents of the desktop show in a folder "Desktop" in user's home directory?

That's correct.  Files that are visible on the desktop background are actually stored in a folder called 'Desktop', which is one of the default 'User Profile' folders. 

So in the below example, the file path would actually be C:\Users\UserName\Desktop\babepng.png, regardless of whether it's on the desktop background or in the 'Desktop' folder.  It's exactly the same file just displayed two different ways. 

001.thumb.png.5eb13f5284f7d48267791506b22b2443.png

49 minutes ago, Fixx said:

If the pgn just refuses to upload I would assume there is some incompatibility between AP png and Photobox

The PNG file is fine @Fixx I uploaded it to my Photobox.

A few windows tips, please beware that with these video's, the audio levels are fairly quiet for the first video and a lot louder for the second video.
Move and copy files
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xA1nFEiTd0

Show file extensions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rOCUZ8opLM

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, Llattif said:

Thanks for the links - I'll have a look in a minute.

Good, but please stop posting the 'babe' png file to this forum topic over & over -- once is enough, & you have posted it many times now.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Until you post some screenshots demonstrating your issue, it's going to be a guessing game.  In Windows File Explorer, does the 'Desktop' folder show any small file sync icons in the bottom-left corner of the main desktop icon (see below pic); indicating that some user profile folders (including Desktop) have been moved to OneDrive?

001.png.a928c3e748b60e5cdbbf0835ad7ebf50.png

3 hours ago, Llattif said:

Yes, I have very much the same. Not sure where Onedrive is ....

The same in what way?  Like on the left, or like on the right?

It would be located at:
C:\Users\UserName\OneDrive\Desktop

Please show us a screenshot of your Desktop folder, not your OneDrive folder.

15 hours ago, - S - said:

Until you post some screenshots demonstrating your issue, it's going to be a guessing game.  In Windows File Explorer, does the 'Desktop' folder show any small file sync icons in the bottom-left corner of the main desktop icon (see below pic); indicating that some user profile folders (including Desktop) have been moved to OneDrive?

001.png.a928c3e748b60e5cdbbf0835ad7ebf50.png

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Wow! are we still doing this, thought this would have been sorted by now O.o

Went on my windows laptop and uploaded a png file to Photobox in less than 10 seconds from desktop, the only issue you can have with a PNG file is if its too small (under 40Kb) As long as its bigger than that it should be very straight-forward.

Obviously, the elephantpngaff2 Png file is certainly larger than 40Kb and if I recall correctly, so was the baby picture which I successfully uploaded. Why the Photobox web app isn't seeing your PNG files doesn't make much sense unless you are looking in the wrong place.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

OK. I went through your process exactly (it's what I do usually). All the same until you ask to get photo from Desktop folder. IT IS NOT THERE IN THE FOLDER. On the computer screen but there only. It is just not available. That, I think is where the problem lies.

I really appreciate the effort you are all making. Roger

1 hour ago, Llattif said:

OK. I went through your process exactly (it's what I do usually). All the same until you ask to get photo from Desktop folder. IT IS NOT THERE IN THE FOLDER. On the computer screen but there only. It is just not available.

At about 1:10 In the video, after clicking the green "Get photos from your computer" button, a new window opens with "Desktop" selected on the left, indented under "This PC." If for you this "Desktop" item is not selected, select it:

596137722_videogetfiles.jpg.0a0330fa92dcc0ab15a5995597130dd5.jpg

If you still do not see your png file, please post a screenshot of what you do see at this point in the upload process.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 hours ago, Llattif said:

OK. I went through your process exactly (it's what I do usually). All the same until you ask to get photo from Desktop folder. IT IS NOT THERE IN THE FOLDER. On the computer screen but there only. It is just not available. That, I think is where the problem lies.

I think I’ve identified the problem; the problem is with the PhotoBox website.  The part of the website you're accessing is an old part that still uses Adobe Flash, and this Flash version only supports JPEG files, not PNG files. 

Try uploading using the link below instead.  However, depending on what you're doing on the site, you may end up being re-directed to the old Flash part; in which case it will be something that you'll need to sort out with PhotoBox.

https://upload.photobox.com/en/#computer

Old Flash version:

001.thumb.png.33e1a372668c4d100980118b370750b4.png