You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to rotate and crop a photo on Photo?

Hello I’d like to know if someone can tell me how to rotate a photo but within the constraint of the original canvas?

in other words I’m trying to replicate what the iPhone does in the photo rotate/align tool, where you want to simply make straight a photo that’s slightly tilted, sometimes only by a few degrees, but keeping the original ratio in the background

thanks

If you want to keep the photo the same size, you’ll need to rasterize it after rotation and then do some careful cloning or inpainting to fill in the blank triangles around the edges. If you’re happy to enlarge it and lose some of the original content, you can simply drag the corners outwards with the Move Tool: when you export the result, anything beyond the edges of the canvas will be cropped away automatically.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 hours ago, Alfred said:

If you want to keep the photo the same size, you’ll need to rasterize it after rotation and then do some careful cloning or inpainting to fill in the blank triangles around the edges. If you’re happy to enlarge it and lose some of the original content, you can simply drag the corners outwards with the Move Tool: when you export the result, anything beyond the edges of the canvas will be cropped away automatically.

Thanks. It does sound a lot of work whereas said feature on iOS photos does rotate and crop in one go.. quite neat. Anyway I think the best way I found is to use the rotate command under develop persona and then crop if needed. More laborious but I get there

Use the crop tool, select the straighten option on the context toolbar at the bottom, draw a straight line which will rotate the photo as Alfred says with triangles at the edges. 

Now, that’s where the inpaintcrop2  macro that Jim Welsh created comes in to do all the hard work of fixing the edges. See this post for the macros.

Edited by Paul Mudditt
Example of use added

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

4 hours ago, Paul Mudditt said:

Use the crop tool, select the straighten option on the context toolbar at the bottom, draw a straight line which will rotate the photo as Alfred says with triangles at the edges. 

Now, that’s where the inpaintcrop2  macro that Jim Welsh created comes in to do all the hard work of fixing the edges. See this post for the macros.

Thanks a lot!

I never realised I could draw a line to align and straighten the photo.

interestingly the iphone photo app does all of this in one go. they seem to have implemented a macro that aligns to the main lines visibile and then straightens and crops accordingly. impressive.