You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

You certainly have an active imagination putting stories to pictures/concept art.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

Just now, colin foster said:

Thanks for your comment, imagination is the spice of life, it keeps you young!

Yep. . .can't argue with that. In fact, in my early compositing years using photoshop 7 I used to do exactly what you're doing here; making images and imagining a story to fit along side.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

2 minutes ago, colin foster said:

Sounds like you are a kindred spirit.

Well, as the saying goes. . ."every picture tells a story." I would let my imagination run riot and develop it from there.

@colin fosterVery interesting. Thank you for sharing.

I looked up concept art and found the following

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept_art

Is that how you mean the term concept art or is it something different for you please?

I fancy having a go myself, though starting a different thread so as not to disrupt yours.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

My definition and style is to convey an idea to enhance the imagination of the viewer.  It also gives me the idea for creative writing as this is something I enjoy doing. 

I would like to encourage you to use your creative imagination and just let it flow.

Kind regards,

Colin.

@colin foster

Thank you for your reply.

I enjoy creative writing.

I have written a novel and published it on the web. Free to read, no registration required.

Here is a link if you would like to have a look.

The first novel and author notes

I am currently writing a second novel. As with the first one I write a chapter and then put it on the web. Chapters are not always produced and published in order but with the first one it all came together eventually.

The second novel (being written)

As far as I can remember at the moment I have never tried starting from a picture and then producing a story from it.

I like the idea of producing art on a computer but alas I am not very good at it, though maybe I can improve.

In your first post you wrote "12 hour concept phot-art".

Could you possibly elaborate on that please as I am not sure what you mean.

For example, did you take photographs or use existing clip art and build something up from bits of them and then produce the story or did a story form and you made the picture fit the story?

I would quite like to try to make a comic book style story, both the artwork and the writing. I think that I could produce the writing but for me the art work is the difficult or maybe impossible part.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

I tend to get a picture in my mind’s eye as to the overall feel and concept and then begin the work.

12 hour concept art is my term for a rough time frame that it took me to construct this.  For this I downloaded the three pictures from the net, the model, the chalkboard and finally the spider photo.  The rest is drawn by hand and the photos treated to get the effect that I feel I wanted.  The red shoe was a clip art copy that I redrew from scratch a few months ago.  In this instance the story is the last part of this process.  I take a good look at the finished picture and write the story.  This particular story is a continuation of the Mr Morose photo art concept that I posted earlier this week.  The story is in my mind’s eye but getting it developed is an ongoing process.  The idea is essentially to kick start that left brain thinking whilst preserving the technical process of photography.  This is what I call Photo-Art, the merging together of reality and imagination.  Synaptic pathways linking positive thought. 

I really like the graphic novel concept, however, as I am new to this and still developing ideas and format this is a work in progress.   We have all seen how photo manipulation can have quite negative effects; my wish is to convey writing and illustration in simple form that is accessible to as many folk as possible.  Simple stories and photo-art that do not take forever to produce, I can go on and on about this but I hope that I have conveyed a rough draft of my thinking.

Thanks for your reply and I will take a look at your novel.

As for not being very good at art, I failed my art exam at school and my only friend told me my teachers where laughing at my work, so first off bury the expectations and draw what you like.  There is no judgment upon how art ought to be perceived, let the imagination of the viewer decide that.  Just start and go from there.  Encourage your inner creative self and you will be surprised what it will tell you.