You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I am looking for your ideas about how to create a natural transparent rainbow.

I need to place the rainbow inside an arc (for example half o a donnut), can I cut the donnut at the midle and use it as a mask to show the rainbow.

What will be the best way to get it done ?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro Retina 15" -  macOS High Sierra  version 10.14.4

Affinity Designer 1.6.1 & 1.71 + Affinity Photo1.6.7 & 1.7.1 + Affinity Publisher 1.71

5 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Instead of creating a half-donut mask, apply a radial gradient fill directly to a half donut.

FWIW, I played around with that approach. It works fine as long as the aspect ratio of the donut remains unchanged, but stretching or shrinking it along one dimension ruins the effect because the radial fill does not remain true to the arc of the donut. If the aspect ratio needs to be changed, the donut probably has to be rasterized for that to work.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

32 minutes ago, R C-R said:

It works fine as long as the aspect ratio of the donut remains unchanged, but stretching or shrinking it along one dimension ruins the effect because the radial fill does not remain true to the arc of the donut.

A radial fill is clearly only going to work for a circular arc. If you want to stretch or shrink the arc, you’ll need to use an elliptical fill.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks for your suggestions but it does not seam natural and that will only work in in perfect arc.

Sorry I did not explain but I need to reproduce a natural rainbow arc, maybe I should try to make the rainbow inside a curve.

The color shift in nature seams much more progressive, is there any way to make it smooth ?

Please take a look in the file to see the kind of arcs that I am trying to do.

Thanks a lot.

Rainbow.afdesign

Affinity Designer 1.6.1 & 1.71 + Affinity Photo1.6.7 & 1.7.1 + Affinity Publisher 1.71

Hi GarryP

Unfortunately I can not open the file, I am getting "The file version is not supported by this version of Affinity."

Witch Affinity Designer version are you using ?

Update: I download the beta version and now  I can open the file.

Thanks GarryP that´s almost what I need, now instead of be over the background image, I will need to be a solid layer but the layer is cut (mask) in the area where we have the rainbow arc (ellipse) like it was a window in a format of a arc to see the rainbow behind the solid layer.

It´s a little difficult to explain.

Can you please send me a Version 6 file ?

Thanks

Hi gbenby,

Woowww that´s very cool,.....

How did you make the color decay in the bottom part of the ellipse ?

Thanks

27 minutes ago, DesignT said:

How did you make the color decay in the bottom part of the ellipse ?

If you select either of the donut layers and switch to the Transparency Tool (wineglass) you’ll see that a linear transparency has been applied. I did something similar with my unnatural rainbow, but using an elliptical transparency set to affect both ends of the 180° arc.

Alfred spacer.png

Oops, sorry DesignT. I use the beta without realising it these days.
It’s so stable that I don’t think about using the current commercial release.
gdenby’s file uses pretty much the same technique as my example – elliptical gradient etc. - so there’s not much point in me recreating mine in 1.6, but tell me if you really need it for some reason.

32 minutes ago, Alfred said:

If you select either of the donut layers and switch to the Transparency Tool (wineglass) you’ll see that a linear transparency has been applied. I did something similar with my unnatural rainbow, but using an elliptical transparency set to affect both ends of the 180° arc.

What he said

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

I have to admit that when I saw a request for a "Natural Rainbow", I thought: why not go outside on a rainy day with the sun behind you?

A natural rainbow would always be a perfect arc by virtue of the way it is created. Anything else would be un-natural.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

FWIW, more than most people probably ever would want to know about rainbows & related optical phenomena can be found in the Wikipedia Rainbow article & its links.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On the subject of natural rainbows.

A few years back I looked out of my window after a heavy, sudden rainfall, and saw this double rainbow. I dashed downstairs and took several photos - this being one of them.

1.JPG

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

This pic also illustrates a feature of natural rainbows. The background is darker to the outside of the inner rainbow and lighter to the outside of the outer rainbow. Again a consequence of the optics.

Double rainbows are commoner than you might think. 

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

21 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

This pic also illustrates a feature of natural rainbows. The background is darker to the outside of the inner rainbow and lighter to the outside of the outer rainbow.

Also, both the primary & the fainter color-reversed secondary rainbows are brighter than the surrounding sky. Their apparent brightness can be affected by atmospheric water droplet size & shape variations (like where rain is falling in sheets) & even by impurities suspended or dissolved in the droplets, which can diminish the observed brightness of different spectral colors, most often the shortest wavelength ones visible near ultraviolet end of a rainbow's spectrum.

Considering all that & that digital camera sensors do not have the same sensitivity to different wavelengths of light as does our perception of them, getting a good photo of a rainbow as it appears to an observer on the scene, or creating an artificial simulation of one, is probably a lot more difficult that it might seem.

Affinity Photo 

8 hours ago, John Rostron said:

I have to admit that when I saw a request for a "Natural Rainbow", I thought: why not go outside on a rainy day with the sun behind you?

A natural rainbow would always be a perfect arc by virtue of the way it is created. Anything else would be un-natural.

John

When I say natural I mean that looks a real rainbow.

Sorry I disagree rainbow arc is almost of the time a not complete arc and as AffinityJules show there are also that kind of rainbows, I also saw like those and many many other forms.

I need to archive this effect.

Instead of be over the background image, I will need to be a solid layer but the layer is cut (mask) in the area where we have the rainbow arc (ellipse) like if we see the the rainbow thru a arc mask.

I don´t want that the rainbow overlays the other layer I need the rainbow goes behind the foreground and pass thru an arc cut.

It´s enough to give me an Ideia of the technic that I should to get this effect.

Thanks you all

A few years ago I saw an upside-down rainbow, they are called circumzenithal arcs, I was laying on some cedar decking I'd just put down, was pretty cool but only lasted about 30 seconds.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I have occasionally seen circular rainbows while looking out aircraft windows, & rainbows in mists created by fountains & garden hoses, but never an upside down one.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

I have occasionally seen circular rainbows while looking out aircraft windows, & rainbows in mists created by fountains & garden hoses, but never an upside down one.

Never been to Australia? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Now your focus is in the `natural rainbows" and that´s fine I now we are impressed with this natural event.

My opinion is that all rainbows are different, is like if the have their own ID signature depending of the weather conditions.

Can you give me some tips about how can I get this effect ?

Instead of be over the background image, I will need to be a solid layer but the layer is cut (mask) in the area where we have the rainbow arc (ellipse) like if we see the the rainbow thru a arc mask.

I don´t want that the rainbow overlays the other layer I need the rainbow goes behind the foreground and pass thru an arc cut.

It´s enough to give me an Ideia of the technic that I should to get this effect.

Thanks you all

15 hours ago, DesignT said:

Sorry I disagree rainbow arc is almost of the time a not complete arc

When is a rainbow ever not a complete arc?? o.O

Alfred spacer.png

If you could get high enough then would see the rainbow as a circle.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.