You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

External Screen — Look Up … Issues

Hi there,

there are two issues with the Look up … command on my external screen (vintage MacBook Pro late 2011, macOS Sierra 10.12.6, external EIZO screen, connected by Thunderbolt to HDMI):

• The dictionary popup always appears at the bottom left corner of my screen, as long as I am not in full-screen mode.
  • When I go to full-screen mode, it doesn’t appear at all!

Please have a look at my video.

Thanks, Alex :)

When I try this dictionary in AfPub I don't get its window at all. I also notice that in activity monitor the "LookUpViewService" does not start.
I don't have issues using it in other apps.

I wonder why you mentioned explicitly the "External screen".
Since I use the same hard-/software like you I tried with 2nd monitor un-plugged  but then for me the dictionary doesn't start, too.

11 hours ago, A_B_C said:

(Nobody seems to need a dictionary here:D)

I just never used this macOS dictionary. And I would need it more here, not in AfPub ;)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Regarding the bug, looking up words is working perfectly on the internal screen on my MacBook Pro, even in full-screen mode. It is just the external screen that is giving me headaches. :(

Internal.thumb.png.8c21ab73117af08dd1ed4747b19a58b1.png

6 hours ago, A_B_C said:

working perfectly on the internal screen on my MacBook Pro, even in full-screen mode. It is just the external screen that is giving me headaches.

In your initial screencast you appear to have the system menu on the external screen. I don't know if it influences calling the LookupViewService from AfPub but it could be worth a trial to deactivate the system menu on external screen.

Also you might check in Activity Monitor if the LookUpViewService gets called at all from your external screen.
In Activity Monitor you may limit the process list by typing "lookup" in its search field. Be aware that the process may appear with delay, it shows activity by a CPU value above 0.

Surprise: With another test I just got a result for LookUp on external screen. Like for you at an unexpected position; here exactly at the edge of bleed of page.

Unfortunately I can't repeat its occurrence, further trials did not make the LookUp window pop up again anywhere.

1340445618_lookuponexternalmonitor.thumb.jpg.ef61ec69ac23ba913900542a7e8d170f.jpg

[ p.s.: thanks for the link. – I still don't see a use for a translator tool in a layout application.
I need translators for websites only, with the advantage I get more than single words or expressions translated. ]

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.