You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gradient adjustment not available in mask when using Gradient Tool

Add adjustment. Alt-click to edit it. Select Gradient Tool from LH menu. Drag to draw gradient. Type on Context toolbar say 'Linear'. All well and good. But click on the Context toolbar colour patch and you are not able to edit the gradient.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

• Staff

Hey Dave,

This behaviour has slightly changed. You may notice that when you drag out a gradient, the end node is selected—and contextually, it didn't make sense to be able to modify the other gradient settings as the node is for changing the colour.

You need to deselect the node by clicking away and then you can get access to the familiar settings.

Thanks, @Chris B. It seems I draw the gradient, then rather than use the dialogue to change colours, I do it dynamically on the drawn gradient. Click on node, change colour. Neat and intuitive -- I get the idea. However the clicking away to get the full gradient dialogue now is counterintuitive.

Can I suggest:

1. Keep the improvement, so you can draw the gradient.
  2. When you click on the colour in the context toolbar, open at the 'colour' panel as now to allow node change, but also include a Gradient tab (and Swatches).
  3. Now when you click on Gradient, continue as if you've clicked away.

This improves usability for people who are confused and don't get the extra step of clicking away and gives more flexibility.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.