You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Font list problem with Dark UI (All 3 betas)

This is still happening on all three betas. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Hi Old Bruce,

Is your Accent Colour in your Mac System Preferences set to Graphite? The accent used is based on what that is set to, however when using Graphite it is white, instead of graphite.

I'll get that passed on to development.

6 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi Old Bruce,

Is your Accent Colour in your Mac System Preferences set to Graphite? The accent used is based on what that is set to, however when using Graphite it is white, instead of graphite.

I'll get that passed on to development.

Thanks, Changing from Graphite fixes it. 

I long for the day when the OS will look after my files and work with my hardware.

15 hours ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

I'm not getting that highlighting problem, however shouldn't that menu be dark in dark mode?

I run the OS in Light Mode ( or what I call normal), there is a limit to how much Dark I can put up with. 

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

On 5/10/2019 at 10:24 AM, Old Bruce said:

I run the OS in Light Mode ( or what I call normal), there is a limit to how much Dark I can put up with. 

I should have clarified. I'm running in Dark Mode in macOS Mojave, the UI is dark in Publisher, and that font menu is LIGHT.

• Staff
On 5/10/2019 at 6:40 PM, Jeremy Bohn said:

Sean, shouldn't the font menu also be dark?

According to development they've intentionally left it white, because you're more likely to be using dark text on a light background. Development did research it and found that Font Managers with a Dark UI will still show the fonts as dark text on a light background.

Would you prefer to have a switch to toggle it depending on your document's needs?

I have used software with font lists displayed as white text on black background and don't like it but a switch could be okay. The reason I don't like it is if the font list is presented as previews all the lighter (body weight) fonts are too light due to some odd optical illusion about light on dark being seen as smaller. I digress...

A switch would be fine.

6 hours ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

I guess it's not a big deal to keep it in white but having a switch would be good too.

I agree - a switch would be particularly nice because not all documents are black on white, but since black on white is likely to be more common the current behavior is better than the opposite.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Staff

We believe the issue ("Mac Graphite Accent Colour fails to show highlight in Font dropdown") has been fixed in the latest Affinity Publisher beta and should not occur in the initial release of Affinity Publisher next week.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I am pretty sure it has been fixed, I check this with each new beta and I have not seen it for a few beta releases.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.