You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

19 hours ago, Journet said:

Thanks.  This helped a bit.  The dark (black) areas of the text was filled with the image and the "centre" of the text was left transparent.  I actually wanted the opposite.

So, what you want is: The dark (black) areas of the text to be left transparent and the "centre" of the text filled with the image.

Not sure at all what you mean by this. What is the "centre" of the text?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• Staff

Position your text and image layer, now right click the text layer and Rasterise. Now select the Flood Select Tool and hold down CTRL and click into the empty space (non black) of each letter. When finished select the image layer and then click the Mask Layer icon at the bottom, you can then deselect.

slice1.jpg

Still not sure what you want @Journet but maybe select the text layer and change the blend mode to Erase.

Screen-Shot-2019-05-10-at-15-20-23.png

...and with a smidge of artistic licence...

Screen-Shot-2019-05-10-at-15-27-29.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Is this what you want to do?

Street.jpg

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

So far, none of the solutions offered have worked.  See attached.  This is the closest I have got.  

What I would like is the "white" or "blank" area of the text to be filled with the image.  If Affinity Photo is not capable of doing this I will have to settle for this.

It has been suggested that the problem is with the font itself.  This is for a Street Art project. Times New Roman just isn't going to cut it.  I am open to alternative suggestions.  

Thanks to all for your assistance so far!  As a new user, I really appreciate your help.

Street1.afphoto

21 hours ago, dutchshader said:

drag the image on the text layer until there is a bleu line under the text layer.

Street1.afphoto

by any chance do you know how to do this on the border of a square? I'm trying to add a gold foil image on the border of a square but can't seem to find out how 

6 minutes ago, theotw said:

by any chance do you know how to do this on the border of a square? I'm trying to add a gold foil image on the border of a square but can't seem to find out how 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @theotw. :)

Do you mean you want a wide stroke applied to the square, but displaying a gold foil texture instead of a solid colour? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Is this the effect you want?

streetfin.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

7 minutes ago, Journey said:

YES!!!  YES!!!  YES!!!  This is exactly what I have been trying to do for the last three days!

Scroll back and read "Lee D's" post from 2 hours ago where he showed you what to do.

For anyone else trying this you need to download the "From Street Art" font.  It's a bit different

2 hours ago, Lee D said:

Position your text and image layer, now right click the text layer and Rasterise. Now select the Flood Select Tool and hold down CTRL and click into the empty space (non black) of each letter. When finished select the image layer and then click the Mask Layer icon at the bottom, you can then deselect.

slice1.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

36 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Do you mean you want a wide stroke applied to the square, but displaying a gold foil texture instead of a solid colour? :/

21 minutes ago, theotw said:

yes! please see attached

Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 11.07.14 AM.png

From your screenshot the rectangle is already set to ‘No Fill’, so all you need to do is enlarge the foil image to completely surround the rectangle, and then drag the rectangle layer in the Layers panel and drop it onto the thumbnail of the foil image.

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Alfred, how do you put your software interests and portfolio at the bottom of your page?

>>>>Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.12.86 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.2 (iPad Air 2)

PAULRFONTENOT ;-)

Late 2013 iMac/32gb ram/2tb ssd     2018 MacBook Pro/32gb ram/1 tb ssd

Affinity Designer/Designer Beta

Affinity Photo/Photo Beta

Affinity Publisher Beta

That is a signature,

Go to Account Settings and then click on the Signature button.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

9 hours ago, Lee D said:

slice1.jpg

OK.  With the above instructions I get the image in the text but it fills ALL the text making it a blob of colour.  The black outline of the text is missing unlike your example above.  The Fill Tool fills the text with white leaving the black outline of each letter.  Remember that I am using a Mac (not iPad),  I have substituted Option for CTRL as you must be using Windows.  (I have also tried using Command but got the same result.)  

lol! I wondered how long it would take until someone did this lol! I resisted, it was tough though lol!

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I got bored waiting for a delivery so made a video...

10 hours ago, Journey said:

OK.  With the above instructions I get the image in the text but it fills ALL the text making it a blob of colour.  The black outline of the text is missing unlike your example above.  The Fill Tool fills the text with white leaving the black outline of each letter.  Remember that I am using a Mac (not iPad),  I have substituted Option for CTRL as you must be using Windows.  (I have also tried using Command but got the same result.)

Before you begin following those instructions, copy the text to the clipboard. Then when you’ve finished you can get the black outlines back by simply pasting what you copied. (Ctrl on Windows is Cmd  on a Mac, and Alt on Windows is Option/Alt ⌥ on a Mac.)

For what it’s worth, I would go with the vector method suggested by @>|<; as it’s vector, it yields a cleaner result and it’s more flexible than the raster approach. The ‘From Street Art’ font leaves a lot of awkward little bits to deal with after you divide the curves, but the principle is the same as that demonstrated in the video just posted by @firstdefence.

Alfred spacer.png