You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add "shrink" and "grow" features in Designer & Photo

In Gimp.app, I can create a shape and then "shrink" it or "grow" it by pixels or inches in place.

While I have not exhausted myself in trying to find this feature in Affinity Designer or Photo, I don't think this feature exists.

I am requesting that you consider adding these functions in the Affinity apps in the next major update.

PAULRFONTENOT ;-)

Late 2013 iMac/32gb ram/2tb ssd     2018 MacBook Pro/32gb ram/1 tb ssd

Affinity Designer/Designer Beta

Affinity Photo/Photo Beta

Affinity Publisher Beta

8 hours ago, Jens Krebs said:

Go, exhaust yourself and find it ... it's there.

Jens Krebs, was your comment supposed to be helpful?

I suggest that if you were actually trying to be helpful, you might have guided me to a solution; it would not have taken you any more time than resorting to "flippant" remarks.

PAULRFONTENOT ;-)

Affinity Publisher Beta

I finally have found the grow/shrink feature in Designer; I am disappointed......

The grow/shrink feature only works on selections, NOT on shapes; I don't know how I would use it if I can't grow/shrink shapes I have created.

What is the use of growing/shrinking a selected area? I can do that on the fly when I "pull" a selected area.

My only workaround is to go to the transform panel and adjust Shape sizes there; you guys, please make this feature work on shapes as well in the next update.

:S:(>:(

PAULRFONTENOT ;-)

Affinity Publisher Beta

11 minutes ago, PAULRFONTENOT said:

What is the use of growing/shrinking a selected area? I can do that on the fly when I "pull" a selected area.

The grow/shrink feature affords you numerical control.

My only workaround is to go to the transform panel and adjust Shape sizes there

You can also use the Move Tool.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

I've got to admit - I'm not exactly sure what you are asking for?  Do you mean just he ability to resize objects???

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

58 minutes ago, Ben said:

I've got to admit - I'm not exactly sure what you are asking for?  Do you mean just he ability to resize objects???

Yes.  As an example, if I want to nest several rectangles of different size within each other, (as in the Gimp app) I would start off by creating a series of rectangles by "copy and paste" and then I would either want to shrink or grow the rectangles to have a multi-radius/diameter/width object with several more originating at the center; (so the way it works in Gimp is, you create several rectangles laying within the base rectangle by "copy and paste" and then you select the SELECT main menu and click on grow or shrink to nest the "child" rectangles within the "parent" rectangle") In Designer, you can't grow or shrink all of the "child" rectangles so that you can clearly see all of the "child" rectangles. You can only launch grow/shrink feature in Designer by having a SELECTION AREA.  In Gimp, you can specify the width of each rectangle from the grow/shrink feature by stipulating numerical values for your transformation by so many pixels or so many inches; You can only grow or shrink selection areas in Designer; what would be a "real world" application of being able to grow and shrink a selected area, not an object?  How would you use this feature to produce a certain numerical or percentage of the selection area? As soon as you deselect "the selected area" it is lost.  In Gimp, you can grow/shrink OBJECTS; In designer, gow/shrink cannot edit the size of a REAL object, only a selected area of an object and I cannot for the life of me, think of a PRACTICAL use for that.  :o

Grow:shrink 1.png

Grow:shrink 2.png

Grow:shrink 3.png

PAULRFONTENOT ;-)

Affinity Publisher Beta

• Staff

I think @PAULRFONTENOT is still confusing raster and vector functionality.

Affinity is not Gimp.  I think you need to read through the help and tutorials to familiarise yourself with the app a bit better.  Otherwise, we are just going to be telling you information that is already available.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

Surely not if he is reference Gimp as the example.  I'd imagine he's getting a raster selection from a shape mask and shrinking/growing that.

Of course - @PAULRFONTENOT needs to read up on Affinity and learn the difference between vector and raster.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 5 months later...
On 5/13/2019 at 10:13 PM, JET_Affinity said:

Paul,

It sounds like you are looking for what is usually called an "offset path" command or a "contour" command or tool for vector paths, to create paths that are offset from existing paths, but parallel to them. Does that sound right?

JET

Hi,
I am new on this forum and I am testing the demos of Affinity Design/Photo. I am very enthusiast about them! I use Adobe's apps from many years but I am pretty disappointed that they gotten so heavy and cumbersome. I use them for creating clothes graphics and I look forward to move to Affinity definitely. However, I support  @PAULRFONTENOT 's request. He refers to a function that I use a lot as well. In Illustrator it is called "Offset Path" (maybe it was "Insect Path" in the old Macromedia Freehand).  - Forgive me if it is not allowed to to quote other apps, if so,  the moderator can delete-.
It's not a simply resizing function, it is used to create a parallel path starting from a shape. I know,  I can skip the problem using "Expand Stroke" or by duplicating portions of spline, but it would be tricky and not accurate. The tool we are talking about contracts/expands a shape and you can define the amount in a pop-up window. This task is quite easy for regular shapes, but it is not for complex shapes. I attach an example (see dashed lines) . I wish you will add this function in the future. Many congrats to the developers, I was waiting for a vector application so fast and easy!

Federica

Schermata 2019-11-13 alle 14.13.31.png

Schermata 2019-11-13 alle 14.08.51.png

• Staff

@Federica

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

What an excellent first contribution. You are allowed to quote other applications when making comparisons as you have here. Blatant promotion is not allowed, but you are not doing that.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon