You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Differences between Clone, Heal, Patch, Blemish, Inpainting

This video describes the various repair tools as follows:

Clone: A simple copy-paste of pixels without any automatic blending. Best for removing something in an area of uniform texture/color, or duplicating an object.

Healing: Copies texture from source point but uses color/tone information from the destination point for blending. Possibly the most general purpose repair tool.

Patch: Same algorithm as healing, but uses a selection area instead of a brush.

Blemish: For fast one-click spot fixes. Automatically finds a source point to save time (unless you click-and-drag to manually set a source point).

Inpainting: Most advanced, and slowest algorithm. Often used for removing big objects.

Does anyone have any corrections or additions to this information? Thanks.

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 3:30 AM, EBC said:

Does anyone have any corrections or additions to this information? Thanks.

Your question is a little vague

The video seems quite well done and explains the tools in a nice clear way and would appear to be an accurate summary of what the various tools do

Have you found something that's not working, as described,  for you?

Are you looking to achieve something not covered by those tools?

Are you making your own guide/video to using the tools?

You may get more informative answers if people know, why exactly, you are asking the question?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

When learning new software, I like to really drill down and understand the nuances/use cases/intentions/inner workings of different features. Especially when there's a cluster of similar ones. Using software the way it's meant to be used usually produces better outcomes. Know the rules before you break them, and all that.

The official Affinity docs say very little about these tools, and while that video is helpful, it seems mostly based on the creator's own experimentation. It's a helpful starting point but I'm not prepared to accept it as authoritative.

I am hoping that someone close to the Affinity team can provide a more detailed and "official" explanation of how each tool actually works under the hood, and more guidance on when to use each.

Failing that, it would at least help to know whether other users agree or disagree with the information in the OP.

Just my opinion, but learning the 'inner workings' of retouching tools is not particularly important. What is important is acquiring the experience that comes from experimenting with them on a variety of images to see which ones, singly or in various combinations, work best to get the results you want.

IOW, there is no set formula that will work for everything, no 'rules' that have to be followed. Every image is different so each one should be evaluated on its own merits.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I want to remove the car from this image. I've watched a number of videos on object removal but the image I am working on now has some complex aspects that make this difficult. The texture of the bridge, the curb and the road mean I can't get good results.

I'm currently trying the heal brush but without much success. Can anyone help please?

(I get an error when trying to attached so have added the RAW file) 

P1560200.RW2

Do you mean the "cars" and leave the tram?

That is a monumental task if the above is true. 

Is it possible to go back to the bridge?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

You could try making a selection -add some feather to the selection maybe about 30%, of the bridge and road enough to car the car,  from the other side, flipping it horizontally, drag it over the car and try to align the bridges girders using sky, perspective tool etc, to do that drop the opacity of the selection so you can see the underneath, maybe 60% opacity.

Still a bit of a bodge but I have to go to work so was a quickie, I'm sure you can make a much better job, if you have other images without the car in that place you could make a selection from one image paste it into another and edit as above.

2103840133_ScreenShot2019-05-28at08_41_20.png.74ea16c589e84c0bd2ed3aa2cf3f2e63.png

Good luck

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

This file is approx 250Mb: P1560205.edit_WIP a bit more editing.afphoto

Saved with history so you can jog back and forth in the history panel so see what I did, this is by no means a good job but maybe it will give you some idea's.