You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Some free Pantone .ase palette files

William Overington

Pantone are offering three .ase (Adobe Swatch Exchange) files, free, one is new.

https://www.pantone.com/eblasts/20190507/index.html

These three palette files are good for trying out the Import Palette feature of Affinity Publisher.

Readers are invited to post images using one or more of these palettes in this thread.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

I have now produced a picture using the five colours in one of those palettes, one of the colours is a metallic.

I produced the picture using Affinity Publisher. The picture has two rectangles, one of which has been converted to curves and had some more points added and moved, one circle and everything else is done using the pen tool, with some adjustments once each of the closed shape was produced..

art_from_five_colour_palette.thumb.png.277c44f754480e2b9b76ae933fe1ee05.png

I am now wondering about producing a PDF to put on the web.

I have tried this out and I get a PDF but can I get the five Pantone colours, including the metallic, recorded in the PDF? If so, is there any way for me to check that they are in there using Adobe Reader or otherwise? I expect that if the colour information is in there that a professional printer (that is, a person who is a printer) would have software tools to find out the colours, but how can I find out?

If the picture were to be printed using the five colours, would the metallic colour present particular problems?

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

Your PDF is an RGB PDF. Did you make sure that the Honor Spot Colors is checked when you made the PDF?

I don't think spot colors survive via an ASE file import, so the alternative color space is used, else your ASE files are simply RGB to begin with. You do have Pantone palettes via the swatches. I don't know if those particular colors are in them, though.

41 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I don't think spot colors survive via an ASE file import, …

Well, it is the Pantone-Harlow-Finn palette and in Affinity Publisher when the palette is in use, hovering the mouse pointer over the colour square in the palette gives the Pantone code number.

That is not the same as saying that the Pantone Colour goes through to the PDF when the PDF is produced.

45 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Your PDF is an RGB PDF. Did you make sure that the Honor Spot Colors is checked when you made the PDF?

Well, I am not sure. I tried making the PDF several times at different times due to later adding the Author and Subject fields. I know that I did select to keep spot colours on at least one occasion but I am not sure if I did it on the latest PDF production.

I have used the PDF for web, so maybe I need to use PDF for print or whatever.

I have just checked now and I cannot find now where one has to check the checkbox to keep spot colours.

How did you test the PDF please?

2 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Well, it is the Pantone-Harlow-Finn palette and in Affinity Publisher when the palette is in use, hovering the mouse pointer over the colour square in the palette gives the Pantone code number.

That is not the same as saying that the Pantone Colour goes through to the PDF when the PDF is produced.

Well, I am not sure. I tried making the PDF several times at different times due to later adding the Author and Subject fields. I know that I did select to keep spot colours on at least one occasion but I am not sure if I did it on the latest PDF production.

I have used the PDF for web, so maybe I need to use PDF for print or whatever.

I have just checked now and I cannot find now where one has to check the checkbox to keep spot colours.

How did you test the PDF please?

Color names don't mean that they are actual spot colors.

In the Export for PDF dialog, there is a More button. Press it and possibly scroll down and ensure it is checked. By default, the For Web PDF type likely is using RGB. Use on of the PDF/X types and ensure the Honor spot colors is checked.

I used Acrobat.

8 minutes ago, MikeW said:

... and possibly scroll down ...

Ah yes, scroll down, that is what I have been missing. I keep forgetting to scroll down in the More... section. I have had that issue before and I keep forgetting to do it!

I have now produced a PDF using the PDF/X-1a:2003 format from Affinity Publisher.

I have requested honouring spot colours. It was, in fact, already set (by default?)

The PDF file is over 400 kilobytes. Could someone say why it is so much bigger than the web version please? It is all vector graphics in the original.

I am wondering if the Affinity team could possibly consider having a selectable option for use when using the "for web" version such that the names of the spot colours are automatically listed, as comments, in the Keywords section of the PDF document properties please: this is just an informal enquiry at present. That way the spot colour information would be recorded in the PDF document. The thing is, my website is not big enough for lots of large files.

By the way, are spot colours always Pantone colours?

William

art_from_five_colour_palette_X1a_2003.pdf

16 minutes ago, Wosven said:

Hi,

You can't add or create a colour (or a palette) and have it as spot colour. You can only make them global colour in APub.

Yes, you can add a spot color palette.

Sure. I have a palette with values in the one thousand range, all others in the hundreds. I don't type the values in myself. I process them using one or more applications. HKS, RAL, Google's Material palette, Sherwin Williams, etc.

Now, that doesn't mean Serif's absolutely stupid renaming of them as Global BS® doesn't happen because it does. But they are spot colors and do hit a PDF that way (or get converted to whatever color model one is using).

10 minutes ago, Wosven said:

I won't complain since I asked for options like this using text files so we can easily add more to the apps :)

The csv format for spot color is what Serif used in the Plus line of applications, so it makes sense. 

I haven't checked yet, but it would be nice if LAB values could be used. 

In fact, you can add a spot colour from the menu, but it won"t use the values of the selected colour:

• you need to use the colour picker first to get the colour
  • you need to rename the colour: default added colour name is a generic name instead of its name if it's one already in a palette with a specific name

2019-05-11_084127_cr.png.ee29f0ce558e81efe5d7519255f8f31e.png2019-05-11_085057.png.aa15c782659cf61b5bc1d9126e9a6ae6.png

8 hours ago, MikeW said:

I haven't checked yet, but it would be nice if LAB values could be used. 

There are files with RVB and CMJN values, if it's the same as in the Plus line, perhaps you can find and give examples of other colour mode.

14 hours ago, MikeW said:

BTW, the PDF I produced is only 4.6k, about 100 times fewer KBs than yours have.

So what goes on?

Am I not using Affinity Publisher correctly or is Affinity Publisher producing PDFs that are too large or is there some other explanation?

Hello Mike, I am including @MikeW so that you get a notification.

3 hours ago, William Overington said:
16 hours ago, MikeW said:

BTW, the PDF I produced is only 4.6k, about 100 times fewer KBs than yours have.

So what goes on?

Am I not using Affinity Publisher correctly or is Affinity Publisher producing PDFs that are too large or is there some other explanation?

Hello Mike, I am including @MikeW so that you get a notification.

Just quoting will give another user a notification. Tagging a user is helpful when they are not being quoted. However, I come to the forum with a shortcut that opens a view where it lists all threads I have contributed to and so I can see if there is a response to one of them whether I am quoted or tagged or not.

Affinity applications can create larger PDFs. In this case (your pdf vs. mine) it may be as simple as an embedded output profile. I didn't look into your PDF.

5 hours ago, Wosven said:

There are files with RVB and CMJN values, if it's the same as in the Plus line, perhaps you can find and give examples of other colour mode.

I don't think they could ever use LAB values in the Plus line. If Serif doesn't comment, I might play around later. Or not.