You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.7.0.293 Unsharp Mask Resets Border Efect Value

Hi,

I have a collage where the pictures are imported as image,

if I apply the Border Efect to a picture, modify the radius and then use the unsharp mask filter,

the photo is converted from image to pixels by the program but the radius value of the Border Efect is modified also, for some reason is set to the minumum value.

I this the way it is suposed to work ?

10 hours ago, agnesim said:

10 hours ago, agnesim said:

I this the way it is suposed to work ?

Not sure, it's certainly unexpected

Normally if you manually rasterise an image layer with an effect, you will be asked what to do with the effect but it will always be preserved.

The automatic rasterisation of the layer when you add the Unsharp Mask seems to just ignore (some not all) effects applied and removes them.  Since it's definitely not consistent in what effects it removes or what you wanted to happen I would consider it to be a bug.

The easiest way around the problem is just to...

1. Rasterise the image layer before applying any effects

2. Or use the Live Unsharp Mask filter which does not produce this issue. 

Since not all filters will have an equivalent Live filter, option 1 is probably the safest choice

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

When you manually rasterise a layer with an FX on it, you get prompted to 'Preserve layer FX' however when auto-rasterisation occurs, you are not prompted. I logged this with the developers a while ago but was told this is the intended behaviour. 

You are better off following carl123's advice and rasterise before you apply the filter.

On 5/9/2019 at 3:08 AM, Chris B said:

When you manually rasterise a layer with an FX on it, you get prompted to 'Preserve layer FX' however when auto-rasterisation occurs, you are not prompted. I logged this with the developers a while ago but was told this is the intended behaviour. 

You are better off following carl123's advice and rasterise before you apply the filter.

To me this looks more like a bug,
I can't think of a single use of reseting the Fx when changing from Image to Pixel,  Why would I work in the Fx of a photo just to lose everything when sharpening the image ?

But if that's the way it works I can just rasterize all.

thank you.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.