You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Center text vertically in text box

Yes, if you are using Affinity Photo  

• Select the box and the text
  • Go to the top menu and select Arrange > Align Middle

If it's Affinity Designer 

• Select the box and the text
  • Go to Layer > Alignment > Align Middle

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

14 minutes ago, koop said:

Hi - I'm using Publisher. I see Left/Right align in Character, but don't see a top/center/bottom alignment.

Publisher is the same method as Affinity Designer 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hello

The vertical alignment only applies to the "Frame Text Tool".

Is there a way to apply a vertical alignment to the "Artistic Text tool" ?

I have this scenario:
- On the master-page I set a "artistic text tool"-placeholder at the bottom of a page. When rewriting the text-placeholder on a page it expands to the bottom, but I want a bottom alignment.
- When using the "Frame Text Tool" I can set the bottom alignment, but am fixed to a width and height.
I know you can select the master layer and edit the Textframe dimensions, but this will apply to the master-page and I think it is not elegant for text frames to have a height of more text-rows than needed.

Is there a setting I am missing?

Primary: Windows 10 Pro 1903 / Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz / 32 GB RAM/ GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q
Secondary: os x mojave / imac 2017
A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

Vertical alignment doesn’t really apply to the Artistic Text tool.
Artistic Text can be thought of as just a ‘fancy’ shape - like any other shape – and, as such, has nothing for it to be aligned within because it is already ‘aligned’ within itself. Or, to put it another way, the size/dimensions of the Artistic Text layer are the extents of the glyphs within the layer itself so there’s nothing else to align the text with. It’s a bit like trying to align a rectangle to the bottom/top/left/right of its own rectangular bounding box. It’s the size that it is so it can only be where it is.
Would you be able to give a simple example, preferably with images, of the issue you are having with Text Frames? My understanding is that master pages are not really places for place-holders and I don’t see why having a text frame bigger than the text would cause concern. I’m just having trouble understanding what the root problem is.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Just a thought: would constraint work? (I'm not at my APub computer, so I can't try myself).

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Quite possibly but I think it really depends on what ivbera wants to do that can’t be handled by the normal alignment tools.
The image on koop’s original post can be easily achieved using the alignment tools but I don’t know what the precise requirements are in ivbera’s case.

4 hours ago, GarryP said:

Quite possibly but I think it really depends on what ivbera wants to do

From how I understand it ivbera want's to grow artistic text upward instead of downward if more textlines are added. I just tried with constraints and it seems it doesn't work. I want to add that constraints are one of the features I'm less familiar with.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

3 hours ago, dominik said:

From how I understand it ivbera want's to grow artistic text upward instead of downward if more textlines are added. I just tried with constraints and it seems it doesn't work. I want to add that constraints are one of the features I'm less familiar with.

d.

Yes. I want to control the pivot point. So it can expand upwards not just downwards.

I am an example with different scenarios for better explanation.

textframe example.afpub

Primary: Windows 10 Pro 1903 / Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz / 32 GB RAM/ GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q
A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

First thing I would try is setting up a Paragraph Style which is centred Vertically (do that in the Text Frame Studio) and Horizontally. You will still need to go to the Master Page and Edit Detached to adjust the size of the frame though.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

First thing I would try is setting up a Paragraph Style which is centred Vertically (do that in the Text Frame Studio) and Horizontally. You will still need to go to the Master Page and Edit Detached to adjust the size of the frame though.

Yeah, I thought so. I do not like the idea of detaching very much. Also I don't fully understand this feature yet, but this is another topic.
I guess, preparing the styles thoroughly is an important step, for the workflow.

My feature suggestion would be these two:
text frame panel: add an option, which lets you fix the width; and the height would be defined by content. Vice versa.
For the artistic text: control of a reference point or line. At the moment it is just the top line of the box.

Also Correction to my file above:
- Second Column Example is a text frame example

A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

5 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

First thing I would try is setting up a Paragraph Style which is centred Vertically

... as answer to the Topics question "Center text vertically in text box" – Indeed ?

First thing I would try is finding an icon or menu which applies "Vertically aligned" to my text box on 1 click.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

6 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

You will still need to go to the Master Page and Edit Detached to adjust the size of the frame though.

Or the size of the frame is high enough right from the beginning. Say e.g. five lines. If the paragraph style fixes the text at the bottom of the frame then there should be room to grow upwards. Paragraph decorations could take care of borders, if needed.

d.

As the layers on a master page are repeated on every page you shouldn’t be putting layers that change on master pages. (Exceptions to this are page numbers etc.) If the content of the layer changes then you need to put that layer on a normal page. Edit: This isn't true, I've just checked.
To get a text frame with a background that ‘expands’ with the text you can use a decoration as per the attached files.

expanding-text-frame.gif

expanding-text-frame.afpub

Edited by GarryP
Got it wrong.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

As the layers on a master page are repeated on every page you shouldn’t be putting layers that change on master pages. (Exceptions to this are page numbers etc.) If the content of the layer changes then you need to put that layer on a normal page.
To get a text frame with a background that ‘expands’ with the text you can use a decoration as per the attached files.

expanding-text-frame.gif

Thanks for the sample. This is what I had in mind :)

d.

6 hours ago, GarryP said:

As the layers on a master page are repeated on every page you shouldn’t be putting layers that change on master pages. (Exceptions to this are page numbers etc.) If the content of the layer changes then you need to put that layer on a normal page.

expanding-text-frame.gif

Ok this is somehow what I was looking for. Thanks. What I still dislike is that the text frame is sometimes higher than needed, but this is personal preference.

But I do not understand why i schouldn't use this on a master page.
When I have a 50 page project and on every page there is a text box bottom left. It does make sense to place the text frame on the master page, instead of creating the text frame every single time. Also when I want to replace it, i.e. bottom right, it will be changed on all 50 pages. It is not about the content, it is about the positioning.

A.Publisher 1.7.2.471
September 2019

• 1 year later...
On 5/10/2019 at 9:36 AM, GarryP said:

Artistic Text can be thought of as just a ‘fancy’ shape - like any other shape – and, as such, has nothing for it to be aligned within because it is already ‘aligned’ within itself. Or, to put it another way, the size/dimensions of the Artistic Text layer are the extents of the glyphs within the layer itself so there’s nothing else to align the text with. It’s a bit like trying to align a rectangle to the bottom/top/left/right of its own rectangular bounding box. It’s the size that it is so it can only be where it is.
Would you be able to give a simple example, preferably with images, of the issue you are having with Text Frames? My understanding is that master pages are not really places for place-holders and I don’t see why having a text frame bigger than the text would cause concern. I’m just having trouble understanding what the root problem is.

For just "fancy shapes" there sure is a lot of very specific tools for just text.

Designer_cHKeMTGDU3.png.0d163c434b863fd2df5ef3495364c0ca.png      Designer_PqqgPUCdn1.png.67a663131c3bf1b7ed07cfd1f474f0d3.png

The fact that is has all of that and you still can't vertically align text like the following image by clicking vertical align is no good. Yes vertical alignment should defiantly be part of it.

Designer_1SHuMsdT6v.png.11e78f9ba03145b9c1107e8f3e9f19e2.png

14 minutes ago, ziplock9000 said:

The fact that is has all of that and you still can't vertically align text like the following image by clicking vertical align is no good. Yes vertical alignment should defiantly be part of it.

You shown panels define the parameters for appearance of the text itself. The look of the letters.

To define their position in the layout hierarchy (e.g. top, left, right, bottom) you must leave the perspective of the glyph properties and take a view from a level above. For text its next level is its frame, for the frame it is the page, for the page it is the document. Since the visual appearance of a vertical aligned text within a frame varies fundamentally with the frame dimensions and other frame parameters it may make sense to access the vertical alignment setting not as property of the text (i.e. paragraph / character / glyph) itself.

That is why to set vertical alignment within/of a text you use the Text Frame panel:

1941566667_textfrmpanel-vertalignment.jpg.88d2bc7f1b427601d8f938a3fbf1d2fe.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

10 minutes ago, ziplock9000 said:

What are you trying to achieve? That is a text frame that you have there in your screenshot, not artistic text, so vertical alignment is indeed possible in that context. Are you rather suggesting something like this?…

1524617174_ScreenShot2021-01-29at9_59_00AM.png.7bf3eb6decbf69828e2e845c5cef93f4.png

That is no longer simply a matter of vertical justification (which visually spaces out the baselines) but rather baseline offsets, where the first letter has a different baseline position than the rest of the word.

34 minutes ago, ziplock9000 said:

Designer_1SHuMsdT6v.png.11e78f9ba03145b9c1107e8f3e9f19e2.png

I would say that text ivertically aligned on its frame, assuming that "Victory" is tied as a single word.

If you wanted the "ictory" raised you could, among other approaches,  separate it from the "V" with a zero-width space.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

12 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If you wanted the "ictory" raised you could, among other approaches,  separate it from the "V" with a zero-width space.

How would separating the "ictory?" with a zero-width space cause its position to be raised? I feel like I am missing something interesting.