You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export alert for missing items

I'm sure that earlier in the Beta process there was a warning if you tried to export a pdf while you had overset text (might be wishful thinking, either way, it isn't there now ).

A  dialog alert would be good if you try to export and there's:

1. overset text

2. missing images

3. substituted fonts

Also there's a visual marker on the text frame itself for overset text, it would also be good of there was a similar red dot on an image which is missing.

I know preflight is in consideration for further down the line, but these major oops's could save some blushes for now!

MacBook Pro M1 Max, macOS 12.6.1 Monterey
Affinity Designer : 2.0  Affinity Photo: 2.0,   Affinity Publisher: 2.0

Agree +1.

Have you noticed, that you get warnings for • missing images and • missing fonts when you OPEN a document? (at least on mac)

1173386597_Bildschirmfoto2019-05-08um19_25_22.jpg.07e180c37f25c728ff4b6626539cd2c0.jpg

Unfortunatly the font-warning on mac auto-disappears after seconds, so I have problems to read it all without opening the file again.

Also there IS a warning for missing fonts on Export:

393323440_Bildschirmfoto2019-05-08um19_44_10.jpg.490c36fecdea09d6d5d578945e6ba448.jpg

It might be a bug that it appears to me only when the missing font is in a linked pdf AND I export that pdf in its edit state (double-click).

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, iaing said:

A  dialog alert would be good if you try to export and there's:

1. overset text

2. missing images

3. substituted fonts

Good thinking. Yes, I would appreciate this kind of warning on export. I would also suggest the same for print (we print a lot in house).

As @thomaso mentioned, there is already a warning about overflowing text frames (as you start the Export process), assuming that's what you meant by "overset text", @iaing.

For missing images, that isn't an issue right now, because all images are embedded, even if you've said to Link them. When Serif resolves that, and makes true linking possible, I believe they will add a similar warning at export time. We'll have to wait and see on that, of course.

On the other hand, it is perhaps fair to recognize that Publisher does warn you when you open a document that has missing images or fonts, and you have the opportunity at that time to deal with the issue. For my planned workflows, that would be the best time to handle this kind of issue.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

45 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Have you noticed, that you get warnings for • missing images and • missing fonts when you OPEN a document? (at least on mac)

1173386597_Bildschirmfoto2019-05-08um19_25_22.jpg.07e180c37f25c728ff4b6626539cd2c0.jpg

Unfortunatly the font-warning on mac auto-disappears after seconds, so I have problems to read it all without opening the file again.

The Font Manager and Resource Manager will tell you at any time; no need to open the file again.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

15 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

As @thomaso mentioned, there is already a warning about overflowing text frames (as you start the Export process), assuming that's what you meant by "overset text", @iaing.

@Walt, do you get the overflowing warning on Export for all overflowing text frames – or, like me, only for text in linked objects?

Edited by thomaso
corrected: overflowing warning, not missing font

Yes that's what I meant, and I did say 'I remembered it happening previously in beta' - @thomaso is right though - just tested and it is only coming up if the overflowing text is from a linked text frame - a single text frame that's overflowing doesn't produce the warning.

On the other hand, it is perhaps fair to recognize that Publisher does warn you when you open a document that has missing images or fonts, and you have the opportunity at that time to deal with the issue. For my planned workflows, that would be the best time to handle this kind of issue.

True, but I'm thinking more of times when the original isn't available because someone hasn't sent it to me rather than that I've moved the resource myself - in that instance I'd often keep working on the job, knowing that someone's been notified to send it to me. However being a goldfish, I'm likely to have forgotten that a few hours later and go ahead and export a pdf with a font missing. This is particularly an issue until pdf passthrough is implemented. I could just open Font Manager & Resource Manager and check, which makes the warning box nice, rather than essential ;) 

An alternative to the warning dialog would be Sketch's approach with a persistent flag in the toolbar

126193246_Screenshot2019-05-09at11_03_03.png.60d1a3594e05f564fe51c16db337e961.png

That one's for plugins, but it does the same for fonts (different colour)

14 minutes ago, iaing said:

just tested and it is only coming up if the overflowing text is from a linked text frame - a single text frame that's overflowing doesn't produce the warning

Just tried again with a fresh document and overflowing text warning works fine, might just have been I was testing a document from earlier beta build.

17 minutes ago, iaing said:

True, but I'm thinking more of times when the original isn't available because someone hasn't sent it to me rather than that I've moved the resource myself

... or, more in my experience, when a server volume with fonts or links fails unexpectedly.

6 minutes ago, iaing said:

Just tried again with a fresh document and overflowing text warning works fine, might just have been I was testing a document from earlier beta build. 

Strange. It did not work for me this way yesterday.

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

@Walt, do you get the overflowing warning on Export for all overflowing text frames – or, like me, only for text in linked objects?

In all cases, as far as I know.

-- Walt
PC: