You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selection 'box' is too large despite small selection

I used the selection brush tool to just select the church, and then duplicated it onto a new layer and used the Move tool to move its position.  The purple box showing the slection is WAY TOO BIG for the selection, which means I have to zoom way out to grab the control points for adjustment.  Why is this purple box so much LARGER than the selection?  IS there some setting or some way to fix?

Yes,  I know I stretched the church (just playing) but I would expect the purple selection box of the smaller church to basically bound only the church, not extend way over to the left of the original church nor stretch way up towards the top, beyond the steeple.

First pic, the AP selection area is way to large for what was selected

Second Pic - I drew a rectangle around what I would want/expect the selection control size to be.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Did you use the select brush or the flood select tool?

Did you rasterise the image afterward?

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

Is it possible those purple boxes are just showing the snapping candidates in your design? To check for that, either temporarily disable Snapping from the main menubar, or uncheck "Show Snapping Candidates" if it is checked in the Snapping Manager.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

12 hours ago, AffinityJules said:

Did you use the select brush or the flood select tool?  "I used the selection brush tool to just select the church"

Did you rasterise the image afterward?  No, but I've noticed that sometimes that is done automatically.  I just redid my test and this time the box is the right/expected size.  There seems to be some other factor involved that I must not yet understand.

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

Is it possible those purple boxes are just showing the snapping candidates in your design? To check for that, either temporarily disable Snapping from the main menubar, or uncheck "Show Snapping Candidates" if it is checked in the Snapping Manager.

I don't think so becuase when I select the layer the purple box / move tool the purple box gets the dots for resizing and rotation.  I would not expect the snapping candidate to have that, although I must note that the Snapping is ON.  I'll see what happens when I turn it off.

If you have erased a background on the church layer you have probably missed some pixels, set the erase tool (E) to 100% on hardness, flow and opacity and slowly from the top down move the erase tool in a zig zag motion until you get near the church. Now change to the Move tool (V) and select the church layer... any difference?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions