You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why don't you develop the product?

You haven’t had updates for a long time, but before that you did the update twice a year.

The community in forum offers so many cool ideas to you. And you have not done useful tools for a long time.

You made a great product but it doesn’t develop.

So many people love your product and ask for the basic things that should be in the tool for professional

What are you doing there?

I'll second Aammppaa's response. If you actually think nothing is happening toward development of the Affinity applications, you need look no further than the Beta processes that are openly shared on this very site.

This is a different world from old-school beta development programs of many monolithic software companies, in which only a select few users were privileged to know what is going on after signing a non-disclosure agreement.

Go to the beta sub-forums. See the things being worked on, tested by users, and refined before release. The particular "must have" feature you have in mind may be being worked on. If not, that's what the Feature Requests sub-forum is for. Search there and find a discussion on it. The developers do review feature requests. That's where many things being developed come from.

JET

Updates to the retail version are being on the works for several months. Developers have said that some major efforts have been done to the core of the Affinity apps, so maybe that’s why the 1.7 version hasn’t arrived yet: major changes mean more bugs to fix.

Best regards!

3 hours ago, Mithferion said:

Updates to the retail version are being on the works for several months. Developers have said that some major efforts have been done to the core of the Affinity apps, so maybe that’s why the 1.7 version hasn’t arrived yet: major changes mean more bugs to fix.

And it all has to work in concert with the new Affinity Publisher product.

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

• Staff
On 5/8/2019 at 12:15 PM, B13eL said:

You haven’t had updates for a long time, but before that you did the update twice a year.

The community in forum offers so many cool ideas to you. And you have not done useful tools for a long time.

You made a great product but it doesn’t develop.

So many people love your product and ask for the basic things that should be in the tool for professional

What are you doing there?

Seriously???

My thumbs are so tired from just being "twiddled".

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Fanboys will be fanboys, @B13eL

300?cb=20150930161630

Just look at their replies. We have so many posts here about the slow pace of development and lack of basic features and still not one of these guys, even the Serif employee, takes this into account. They did not even catch that your post was very positive - a lovely cheering heads up post. 

They - and even an unprofessional Serif employee - just gave you best best reason ever to move your money and effort elsewhere. They are justifying the price of Illustrator and CorelDraw in a major way. I have to thank them for that. Either pay that price or... the above. The waiting customers are the unhappy twiddlers... the arrogance! Man... never let the above character handle costumers, Serif!

Get some additional bad feelings here

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

I think the 'slow pace' is related to the fact that the team is also developing Affinity Publisher and everything has to work together.

Yes, it looks like many people complain about the slow pace of development. At the same time, there are also many people who want the team to also develop a DAM tool, an animation tool as well as a 3D graphics tool. Can you imagine what would happen if these requests are granted?

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

9 minutes ago, RNKLN said:

At the same time, there are also many people who want the team to also develop a DAM tool, an animation tool as well as a 3D graphics tool. Can you image what would happen if these requests are granted?

Easily. We kind of reached that point in time already. 

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Is it desirable that the Affinity range can offer more features with smaller development times? Absolutely.

But if you have a business that realies on a set of features, yes, go and invest there where they give you that. That's the smart move. But if you don't like the options that have said tools, because of the price, and you are frustrated because the Affinity Range can't offer them to you right now... well, you have the wrong approach: the main problem is that your business is not going well, because if you have the right revenue, you wouldn't mind the subscription thing.

Best regards!

P. S.: Instead of being a fanboy it's much better to come here and show the resentment you have, for sure...

Fanboys will be fanboys...

And anonymous childishly insulting forum participants will be insulting.

I never made apologies for being a fan of things worthy before "fanboy" became a cliché internet insult, and I still don't. So for the record:

• I'm an unashamed, outspoken, T-shirt wearing "fanboy" of KTM motorcycles because they're great motorcycles. That neither means I don't have my pet peeves about them, nor that I don't wish KTM would hurry up and develop what I know would be a "perfect" bike.
  • I'm an unashamed, outspoken "fanboy" of Serif for what it's doing in plain sight with the Affinity line. That neither means I don't wish it would do some things in ways I know would be better, nor that I wouldn't love to have it all done today.

The accusation of this thread was that Serif is "not developing the product." I make no apology for calling that utter nonsense. The proof is openly visible to anyone who actually bothers to investigate the progress before posting rants and insults.

By the way, Affinity Dev Team, where do I get the T-shirt?  (Take all the time you need. You know; 10...15 minutes.)

JET

The world of them against us and ‘I want it “right now!!!!” has come to this forum.  

Sometimes one needs to step away from this place to take a breath. 

Here is the good news for all you complainers that want to move away to somewhere else; 

I hear that a certain competitor is doubling their subscription fees, 

and other developers are quickly moving away from subscriptions and lowering their software prices because they are chasing serif. 

To Ben and the dev, please keep “twiddling’ those thumbs.

• Staff
1 hour ago, JET_Affinity said:

By the way, Affinity Dev Team, where do I get the T-shirt

Same as everyone else fanboy, scroll to the bottom of the store homepage and pick a size ;)

https://affinity.serif.com/store/

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

@Jowday   In a certain way, surprises me that if you are so convinced of that, why do you even browse these forums ? I mean, I'd be long gone, that's for sure (if I'd be in that line of thought). Photo and Designer (but I use the betas, against Serif's recommendation) are extremely useful for my day by day. And if someone tells me "that's 'cause you are no pro", it will make me laugh. Very loudly.  So, works for me. It is a true fact for me. From that POV it is not fanboysm of any kind. Works great here (Photo and Designer), and in my machine, better performance than most other tools (with one exception) I acquired over the years, including Adobe.

And was not always the case. For a time I just kept an eye on the forums despite having had purchased the tools. And kept using Clip Studio and a bunch of other tools (some of which I yet use for the other fields, like 3D, etc). I think not being able to get all the juice out of a tool is different to the tool being good or bad. Or even, in the cases where the complaint is legit,  can be a case of " I need feature A and am unable to get creative around it. " Then... The serious option, which I often take for any tool, is I'd just purchase anything else, and so, also not loosing time (quite the professional thing to do). I mean....as if there were no options out there, today! So, I insist : My surprise is why are you still here. I remember your clear discomfort since very long ago. I'm just sharing here my most sincere surprise. I was imagining you since long using Corel, Xara, or just Adobe. (more the case of the latter, indeed). Is not just you, I've seen a few other cases like this (some of which clearly do NOT know these tools to any depth, by the way) : Describing Affinity as the worst thing on earth, yet never leaving !  I mean, my brain works differently, I only stick to one workflow, or tool,  if is efficient for me. If not, moving to a different thing is mandatory. If you work for clients / do other stuff than a hobby.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

BTW, the "unprofessional twiddler" (I don't see why a coder should be breaking his back doing totally unneeded submissive reverences, btw, to be considered a good programmer...ain't customer support, either), among surely a literal ton of other things, is doing an amazing work with Designer's betas (1.7.x).... Is not easy to find so much functionality for isometric illustration in other 2D general packages (apart from those dedicated exclusively to isometric graphics, instead of being these GREAT work horses that Affinity tools are). And as happens often with them, they've run the extra mile in that matter. The improvements in the brush system in Photo are absolutely great, in performance area, in many other aspects of these applications. I see that a lot of the complainers do not follow the beta's public progress, at all... yet they speak about the progress.  I'm not fanboy of anything, I've moved from Linux to Windows, have used Macs, I have an intel and moving to Ryzen in July as now has a better money/performance ratio, I have adored Adobe for a big while (and will use it always when I get another in-house job), have used all sort of apps, have gone from thinking the iPad Pro was the thing to have, to going back to seeing the desktop as the real pro solution, from Wacom, to cintiq (Chinese) alternatives, then back to Wacom, now to a mixed conclusion. So, u can call us whatever you wont. Some of us go for results in our OWN experience.

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Minor improvements over a long timespan, long and numerous posts, no real progress. We'll I am a paying customer just like other "complainers" (you picked up that term in Linux forums?) and I like the interface of especially Designer. I would have paid 2, 3 or 4 times more if the long requested features were in designer. They are not. They are not in the betas I follow closely either. So I will - just like the other unsatisfied customers - remind Serif and Ben that this is not good enough in our opinion. In the adult world this is how it just works. You are satisfied? Great. But let other who are NOT voice their concerns.

So type less and think more about the original post - a legitimate question and concern. Basic tools - where are they? I hope Ben is busy as a bee preparing them. Otherwise his post is ridiculous and counter productive.

So many people love your product and ask for the basic things that should be in the tool for professional. What are you doing there?

With all respect, of all what I have seen, I would not call the improvements minor, for sure. To mention just a 0,001% of all what they've achieved,  the isometric stuff in Designer is not minor in any way you could put it. The arrows addition is basic in apps dedicated to technical drawing, not so much in the type of tool AD is. And that made a lot of users happy. The brush line stabilizer in Photo is absolutely key, and they got that BEFORE Adobe PS (it appeared in PS CC 2018). The brush system in Photo has evolved so much in latest betas that I've gone from not using Photo at all for painting to finding myself more comfortable with it than with a lot of painting specialized apps. It has been said a ton of times that they are not a large staff neither the company is anywhere near Adobe's size, so, one should not expect a big amount of  stuff added in a short time period. Guess what, through all PS's life (and I know it since '95) Adobe has been accused very often of not making real progress in ...years (I mean, inet is full of these complaints, everywhere). You have not replied fully why are you just not switching to Adobe, Corel or etc, if you hate so much this situation. And BTW, you have no power to make me type less, sorry... And about the "think more" advice... Er, well, in general is a very good advice, although I'm afraid I could recommend the same to you... Asking for "basic things" or not, it's their product, and they handle it as they wish. You paid the incredible sum of 50 bucks (about two months of renting of single app plan in the so praised competitor, a bit far from Corel's 700$, as you can't purchase the apps alone), so what. You paid for the features packed in that demo, which you should have tried (and you surely did, as any pro would do) to see if did meet your requirements. You are not signing a contract to get whatever future feature (you have not paid any single extra money for an upgrade) . If you don't like that the product is missing basic features, you should have seen that in half an hour of your testing (or first five minutes, if those are so "basic") of the demo, before purchasing. Ben's post is not ridiculous. If you work at a developer studio (I did several times in my life), and you put 10 to 16 hours a day, you can obviously dislike that someone implies that you are "not working", or doing bad your job. He was even being extremely polite, given the situation.

"complainers" (you picked up that term in Linux forums?)

Nope. Most of the time is the brain of a Spaniard translating to English on the fly. BTW, Linux people tend to workaround stuff (or the old gen used to do so) when a feature is lacking. I know I used to do so, still do, in Windows.

Jebus. I did expect the product to develop into something more in a timespan of 4 or more years. The marketing was and is not humble. I do subscribe to the FULL Adobe package. I just prefer to draw and construct shapes outside Illustrator. Did that a lot in Inkscape. I like Designers few tools better. But Designer is stripped of advanced features - and basic features. Hoping for more increasingly frustrated here is punished by fanboys who cannot let Serif answer. Apologists.

"Asking for "basic things" or not, it's their product, and they handle it as they wish."

Fresh out of school arguments, haha. It certainly is their product. Fortunately I am a clever guy that listened to my customers, adjusted accordingly before they retired or DIED of old age. Increased revenue. Brand value always rising. Etc. 

Ben was not supposed to answer at all. Someone from Serif was supposed to listen to a customer. Handle it like a professionsal. Thats how it works out there. I face customers every day and did for 30 years. They handle their money as they wish! Thats the centre of the universe here.

And now something else from the adult world - lets agree to disagree.

6 minutes ago, Jowday said:

Ben was not supposed to answer at all. Someone from Serif was supposed to listen to a customer.

But Ben is “someone from Serif”! How better to show that you’re listening than to respond to points raised? o.O

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

12 hours ago, Jowday said:

So many people love your product and ask for the basic things that should be in the tool for professional. What are you doing there? 

Especially when trying to develop something innovative as opposed to just more "me, too; same ol' same ol'",  solid foundations have to be laid for what users consider "basic things." I have plenty of "me, too" programs. I don't need another one.

If all I were seeing in Affinity were just another "me, too" approach, I'd just yawn.

let other who are NOT voice their concerns.

Who's not "letting" you?

Fact is, B13eL's post that started this thread was just a useless, unproductive rant. It doesn't even mention any capabilities he's (she's?) so upset about.

And your "fanboy" nonsense is just a childish insult to fellow users who don't agree with you.

No one "prevented" either. And no one is prevented from disagreeing with them.

Resorting to ad hominem insult is a dead giveaway of weak argument; and a sure way to lose respect.

JET

Why are we talking to you? Random GUYS on the Internet. Never women. Always Kellermenschen. The usual suspects here. The original poster did not ask fanatisk fanboys - yes, that IS what you are, your reactions are text book examples - he reached out to Serif.

He complained about a real issue that is raised here again and again and again. All that the customers get is emotional fanboys or “Bear with us” for YEARS.

Let Serif handle costumers and explain why their product - Designer especially - is going nowhere slow.

The product is "going nowhere slow" because they don't have all the internal work done in their products ready (needed to support X, Y, Z features) nor they have reached the quality they want to release the features.

That's what have being explained here by Serif employees and we, customers, let others know about them.

Best regards!

Now, those are the facts. That's the answer to your question, Jowday, but is it really what you want to read?

Best regards!

14 hours ago, Jowday said:

Let Serif handle costumers and explain why their product

Then contact directly with Affinity support by email ? That way will be only you and Serif. No one else would dare to destroy and offend the silence by talking. (Although your complaint will sound to them pretty abstract...) I mean, if as it seems, you don't want community interaction (it almost makes you loose your cool), in a...er...forum,  other than those agreeing with your opinions. Because, you know, this is a forum.  The censorship attempts wont run well here, particularly... Or trying to disregard/shut down other people's opinions by considering yours, or your line of thought as the only adult one. For starters, that way of behaving is not very mature itself... is what certain kid in my family does when things wont go his way... (BTW, I love being called that. Even if with those intentions, at the age that one starts liking being called a lil' kid...). The comment about women left me a bit surprised. Not sure what to make of it, honestly...

These aren't fanboys (and already explained why I know I'm neither)...just individuals that prefer to see the half full glass versus half empty. And realizing that just by following a little the whole thing, but a bit more closely, the developers are putting everything they can in improving the apps. Also, somehow tends not to be put in consideration that an incredibly small team (of ninjas, but...) is also developing entire versions for the iPad, Mac and Windows. Is not only that the team is very small, company resources and money, etc.

My intention of saying this is not to sound like a smart-ass, neither for participating in an egos fight. But that you (and some casual others) understand really their (and mine) point of view. Shall you then start to see them (us) less as fanboys (and fangirls), and more as pragmatic and understanding folks.