You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Some Observations

Greetings!

I've been trying out Affinity Photo after having used Photoshop my whole career. It's got some really cool stuff in there! But also there are some little problems. I thought I'd make some notes, perhaps someone will find them useful.

1. Rectangular marquee tool doesn't snap to grid
  2. Have an option to move layer visibility boxes to the other side (perhaps I just need to adjust but I find it weird. Also check boxes don't quite seem right for layer visibility)
  3. No way to duplicate layers to new document. I use it a lot in PS!
  4. It would be cool to be able to change order of effects. But this is something that PS doesn't do either.
  5. In the Layers panel, dim layers (or the checkbox) for layers that are in a non-visible group (otherwise it looks like they are still visible)
  6. Zooming redraw is blocky. Also it would be nice to have an option for the scrollwheel to zoom in the same way as pressing ctrl + / - (ie. to 150% instead of 156.2%)
  7. Transparent layer backgrounds in the layers panel show as dark grey (transparency should always be displayed as a grey chequer)
  8. Transparent layer background on the canvas is white when in solo mode (as above)
  9. Not sure about the floating mask layers. Why would you want a mask to be on it's own, without a layer to mask? It would be nice to be able to paste into a mask also.
  10. If you restore a snapshot and then immediately start painting, it says that assistant has created a new layer. But no layer is created and no paint tools seem to work

Also snapshots... Are ok, but a thing I use a lot in PS are Layer Comps. Essentially the layer content is persistent but layers visibility, effects etc. can be switched.

Keep up the good work, great to see that PS got some competition

8 hours ago, IdleJohn said:

No way to duplicate layers to new document.

Select Layer, Copy, New from Clipboard.

https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/pages/GetStarted/NewFromClipboard.html

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

4. You can sometimes do that by adding 1 effect, then grouping the layer on its own and adding another effect to the group.

7. Already available in next release (v1.7) currently in Beta

8. If you mean Isolation Mode, that should work.  Make sure Document > Transparent Background is ticked

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.