You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Objects disappear off pasteboard

Objects seem to disappear off the pasteboard if you move them high or low enough in the document. In the attached screenshot, the placed Design document is on the pasteboard and it shows up fine when dragging it around above the document but a moment after I stop moving it or let it go, it gets cropped above the bleed area. The same thing happens below the document. Then it shows up again at the bleed area of the second page.

Latest beta, macOS Mojave

Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 5.57.05 PM.png

It is like we have a visible boundary above and below the current page. Move it far enough and it shows up in the next spread but clipped in the original.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Also I figured out why I thought the object disappearing was a bug... it's because the whole area is the same color and appears to be a giant pasteboard, so I'd expect I can use that entire area. Compare this to InDesign (attached screenshot) where the pasteboard is a separate color (white) from the parts that are off limits. It's quite clear the space you have to work with. So my suggestion would be to make this more clear in Publisher as well.

Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 11.21.58 AM.png

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, avyclaire said:

Any object I move off the page to the pasteboard disappears.  I don't see anything!

Deactivate "Preview Mode" in View menu or via button in main window tool bar.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

14 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Deactivate "Preview Mode" in View menu or via button in main window tool bar.

Or, View > View Mode > Clip to Canvas.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

With clip to canvas off I can't reproduce that flickering here Jeremy, but it does look wrong, we do clip horizontally to prevent overlapping with multiple pages, but it shouldn't flicker like it does in your video.

Does it happen for you on a new document?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

It happens in a new document too. It appears to do it with vector and bitmap images as well. What seems to set it off is when there are multiple pages and the graphic crosses the oddly invisible area between pages that is off-limits. I've grabbed another screen recording. You'll see that as soon as either graphic is dragged to the other page and I keep moving it around, it no longer moves smoothly. In fact, near the end of that recording you can see the right graphic flashes the selection handles of where it USED TO BE and not where it currently is. The left graphic is vector, the right is bitmap.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.