You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

If I set a document to include only crop marks (no other printers marks), is it possible to adjust the space crop marks use?
Example: I have an A4 document with 3mm bleed and crop marks selected on PDF output. The space that's allocated for the crop marks is currently 10mm all round. I want to reduce that to 3mm so effectively the crop marks are touching the outer edges of the trim area. I've attached an image to show what I mean.

trim guide.png

The purpose of the bleed area is to allow a margin of error in the trimming process.  Placing the crop marks inside the bleed area negates the purpose of the bleed area, as they could potentially become visible in the completed project.

The crop marks out of necessity should be located in the slug area, which is outside the bleed area.

If you really want crop marks inside the bleed area, you could always add your own using the pen tool, or with a rectangle that ends just outside of the bleed area and meets the corner of the trim area... but if you think about it logically, I don't think you actually want that.

All of that being said, even with zero bleed the crop marks do not touch the outer edges of the trim area - I don't believe there is currently an option for making that happen.  A customizable slug area has been requested before on other threads, but I would not expect it in the 1.7 release.

Hi fde101 and thanks for your reply. Yes there is a very slim chance the tips of the crops could been see in print but i've done this before with success. Anyhow, that wasn't the root of my question really it was more to do with controlling the area that the crops actually sit in. I've since noticed that if you turn off the tick box for 'include bleed' but still have 'include crop marks' then the area used by the crop marks reduces a little.