You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I would love to see Affinity products supporting HKS colour systems for printing on coated and uncoated papers, same way as Pantone colours are built-in into applications.  The systems are used by many printers, naming just few in UK: Saxo Print, Mixam, FlyerAlarm and many others around Europe. I use HKS at work, but must translate colours into CMYK. It would be really helpful to support these colour schemes (HKS-K, HKS-N).

HKS has an app that allows to add HKS-K (coated) and HKS-N (uncoated) to Adobe applications automatically. If not built-in schemes, than maybe this would be a good approach?

HKS is also cheaper than Pantone for designers (colour fans and colour tables) and for printers. HKS also include gold and silver inks.

IMG_20190507_175606 (2).jpg

W11, Dell G5, i7, 64GB, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2600, Wacom Intuos Pro M + iPad Pro 2018.
 sakrajda.eu

Thanks for the reminder about this. Our fellow users may be interested in your earlier thread where you attached a couple of *.afpalette files. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

45 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Thanks for the reminder about this. Our fellow users may be interested in your earlier thread where you attached a couple of *.afpalette files. :)

I know, I'm pushing this request. I attached the palette, but it's not the same. CMYK will be printed in four colours without gold or silver, where using HKS would be printed with spot colours.

W11, Dell G5, i7, 64GB, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2600, Wacom Intuos Pro M + iPad Pro 2018.
 sakrajda.eu

• 1 month later...

Hello Serif Team!

Is there any update on adding HKS N and HKS K spot colour palettes to Affinity software? It's doing my heading now. I've got HKS N & HKS K palettes in Photoshop and Illustrator using HKS 3000+ software. Is there any way I can move them to Affinity Photo and Designer so print-ready PDF will have them marked as spot colours? 

It's a popular standard in Europe - it's cheaper for printers and designers than monopoly-driven Pantone.

PS
I have also emailed HKS Farben to consider adding Affinity to their HKS 3000+ app.

PPS
RAL system would be welcomed as well.

sakrajda.eu

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I attach HKS-K and HKS-N palettes exported from Adobe. 
They are only basic colours with 100 screen stage / brightening and 00 black overprinting

All colours are named in HKS convention, i.e. HKS 57 K-100-00. 
Once imported you can mark them as spot colours. 

If you wish to use HKS colours with other brightening and black overprinting, you would need to use HKS 3000+ software to export them into Adobe Illustrator and then export them from there.

I hope some day we will have all 3000+ colours available in Affinity software. :) 

HKS-N.ase

HKS-K.ase

sakrajda.eu

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I also would need the HKS colors for some printing jobs at work! =)

PS: If you like maps you might also have a look at this community!
PPS: Want to know more about me and my ways? Head over to an Affinity Spotlight article about me and my maps!
PPPS: Do you love public transit and transit maps too? Then have a look at my home-made collection of transit maps under www.instagram.com/transitdiagrams or www.twitter.com/transitdiagrams

PPPPS: Other works than transit maps can be found here www.behance.net/chrisneuherz 

As a punishment for my bad testing, I made a new HKS K palette for Affinity. All colours are Global and Spot.

WARNING 1: I tried my best to make no error creating the palette, so use it at your own risk.

WARNING 2: You may find other CMYK definitions for HKS, but you can edit the HKS colour to your likings.

WARNING 3: Global colours will only be kept when you import as Document palette. Importing as an Application palette the "global" information will be lost.

HKS-K.afpalette

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

2 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

WARNING 3: Global colours will only be kept when you import as Document palette. Importing as an Application palette the "global" information will be lost.

Good point. Note though, that users can create an empty document of an appropriate size, import the palette as a Document Palette, then Export the document as a .aftemplate file. That way the palette is easily usable on future documents of that size.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@rumo Do not use the files from the post you quoted. I tested again and found that they do not import as spot colour. So I made a new file for HKS K. You'll find the file two posts up.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

On 3/3/2020 at 3:49 PM, Joachim_L said:

Here is the HKS N palette. Same warnings as before. ;)

HKS-N.afpalette 11.72 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you very much, Joachim. Though the other palette worked for me basically (don’t know which one I used, but it came out as a spot colour), your’s appears to be better when I proof my PDF in Acrobat.

I’d like to mention that there is a database with metered conversion hues for HKS colours. Tried and tested for years, especially when sending layout PDFs to clients. Maybe I’ll spent an hour of my weekend to integrate them into your HKS-N palette, Joachim, for more accurate colours within the digital working environment.

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2020 at 10:24 AM, Joachim_L said:

@rumo Thanks for this helpful link.

My pleasure.

Just to quote myself:

On 3/5/2020 at 10:18 AM, rumo said:

I’d like to mention that there is a database with metered conversion hues for HKS colours. Tried and tested for years, especially when sending layout PDFs to clients. Maybe I’ll spent an hour of my weekend to integrate them into your HKS-N palette

I just did that, you’ll find the file attached. Please remember to import them as a document palette. 

HKS-N.afpalette

• 5 months later...