You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Colourful Cats (in Spacesuits) In Affinity Photo (split)

Don’t use the Marquee Tools for this. Use the Pen Tool (available on its own in AD, or sharing a flyout with the Node tool in APh) or a Shape Tool to draw shapes to which you can apply a fill directly: you’ll then be able use the Node Tool to adjust those shapes at any time. Create a bunch of different coloured shapes and clip them to (i.e. nest them in) a cat shape to make a multicoloured cat.

SquareStar-cat.afdesign

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

And adding to what Alfred just told you. . .

new 4 jp.jpg

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

34 minutes ago, Josie said:

How do I blend the colors together?

Select the group of shapes and apply a small amount of Gaussian blur.

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Josie said:

How would I do that in affinity designer?

Select the group of shapes, open the Layer FX Studio and tap on ‘Gaussian Blur’: the Context toolbar for the effect will appear at the bottom of the screen. Adjust the ‘Radius’ value to give you the desired amount of blur.

Alfred spacer.png

There is a very helpful person/graphic designer on Youtube she also teaches on SkillShare by the name of East Coast Charm her Channel has a specific technique called Low Poly Design in Affinity Designer, she will show you in real time how to make shapes, and filled them in on a Penguin. It is free on Youtube, I have learned a lot from this Instructor and Isabel Arcama channel too, but you will see it in action so you won't be confused and if you asked them they will make a video for things you are confused about. I requested 6 videos and all were made to card making, patterns, symbols, assests, and exporting. Go see it today.

Lisa Hawkins

Then there was no need to post all those different pictures of cats then ask the folks here how to replicate their effects.

Anyway, that being said.

Again, I could be wrong, but this image looks like the creator used a stylus pen (or whatever they're called) and hand painted over the cat -  or more precisely along the folds of fur to keep the cat's fur direction intact. That's how I see it.

I don't think this image would be possible doing it any other way. But like I said. . .I could be wrong.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

Try Olivio Sarikas Youtube Video, he does this similar technique using a lion. He cuts the lion out, once lion is by himself, he opens up either stock photography or scanned in watercolors and puts it on the lion, then change the blend mode, you could add in the smudge tool to make the paints go in different directions, another tip I would look for photos or scan in acrylic paints since its thicker place the image over the cat photo and change the blend mode.   The video is called Affinity Photo watercolor effect, I am guessing this is popular at the moment. Its for the last picture you posted.

Lisa Hawkins

Like I said. . .this can be done best by hand and various types of brush (which can be customised to suit). The tutorial with the lion is all smudgy and the fur is lost in a field of smudge and colour.

I used a painting brush to do this and all colours are separate layers which were merged as one and a colour burn blend mode applied. The blend modes give very different results, some better than others but I chose this one to better demonstrate the effect. And note the areas where the colours blend over one another - it gives a rather pleasant effect.

To be clear, I am NOT a digital artist and do not use a tablet or pen. I did this in about 10 minutes using just a mouse, so given that this can be produced on the quick, just imagine what YOU could do when you apply yourself.

c5.jpg

Is there some way I can use the smudge brush tool to make abstract color designs and animal art like this or similar to this? I don’t draw and am trying to figure out how I can do this with the colors, blend modes and smudge brush.

F8A8AD05-2316-42FE-AEF6-5F4582A225C2.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Josie said:

Is there some way I can use the smudge brush tool to make abstract color designs and animal art like this or similar to this? I don’t draw and am trying to figure out how I can do this with the colors, blend modes and smudge brush.

Yes, the Smudge Brush should work for something like this. Try it!

The Paint Mixer Brush is also worth investigating.

Alfred spacer.png

There are a bunch of bitmap filters and macros from people which can yield to the one or other effect. Though I don't know if all of them would work or are available for the iPad versions.

• Filter > Color > Solarization, then apply some HSL color adjustment tweaking to your likes
  • Comic style filter, Obama hope, Sketch/Oil/Pastell etc. filters
  • ... and so on ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

Josie, I have split all your posts and the relevant replies from the tutorial your added them to

That is NOT the way to behave in a tutorial post as your questions are specific to you and nothing to do with the tutorial. Please always make new threads to ask for help and advice, and link to tutorials if needed

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Josie said:

Is there a way I can do this art step by step with the mixer brush and the smudge brush?

040278BF-E376-43FB-9ABE-B560C96C7E9F.jpeg

1 hour ago, Josie said:

Are there any tutorials on this?

Did you watch the ‘Oil Painting’ tutorial? Assuming that you downloaded the Designer file I attached to this post (if not, why not?) you can open it in Affinity Photo and try out @Erwe’s technique with the Paint Mixer Brush.

Alfred spacer.png