You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Colourful Cats (in Spacesuits) In Affinity Photo (split)

Apply and tweak Gradient Map adjustments separately to each of the two pictures. Follow the instructions in my post to your earlier thread about the cat astronaut to put the space helmet on the cat’s head.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

41 minutes ago, Josie said:

How do I get bright colors in my picture like that? All I’m getting are dark colors. Any suggestions.

If the colours are too dark, increase the luminance (lightness). If the colours are too dull, increase the saturation.

Alfred spacer.png

@Josie 

1. Pick ONE picture at a time and work on it. Don't split your focus because it makes things seem overwhelming.

2. Google Affinity Photo tutorials. Watch them. Do the things they do. When you learn the techniques, you can apply them to any of your horde of cat pictures. There may be a few cat picture related tutorials out there but there's not going to be tons of tutorials out there walking you through the process of making cat pictures. You will have to find tutorials that relate to what you want to do to those pictures. If your question is about gradients, then search for tutorials about gradients. If you need to make a cat a different color, search for tutorials about recoloring..and so on :)  Also, google general tutorials about compositing (combining multiple images into a new piece of art) and that should get you started.

I really wish you all the luck in your quest for fun cat pictures. Feel free to share your work here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/10-share-your-work/

If an individual colour is too dark, adjust the luminance via the Gradient Map controls. To change the lightness of the entire image in one fell swoop, apply an HSL adjustment.

Alfred spacer.png

14 minutes ago, Josie said:

I do the saturation and luminance but is still to dark

I don’t see any difference between the new pictures and the ones you posted earlier!

A3C2C8EA-818D-47AA-8050-1B236F49D413.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png

First it's cats then helmets, then it's helmets and cats - this thread is going to go on forever.

The picture above (your last post) looks to me as if the creator use custom specific shapes to achieve the multi-coloured effect, I could be wrong but that's how it looks to me. I don't use an iPad so I haven't got the foggiest idea how to go about realising your creative desires. Have you tried making shapes then placing them over the cat to see how it turns out? Maybe you should.

Making multi-coloured cats is simple enough but trying to copy an exact style made by someone with an artistic flare is difficult at best without knowing EXACTLY what technique they employed or what skill level they possess.

And talking of multi-coloured cats. . .

c4.jpg

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

How do I blend these colors to make it look like a design using the iPad ? And make it look like a multicolor affect? Somewhat into the cat picture. That’s what I want and am trying to figure out using the iPad .

helmet1.png

E28C2995-4BC2-421E-BCE9-068DEB4E293D.png

32 minutes ago, aaron_r said:

A guy stops a stranger on the streets of Manhattan.

Q: How do I get to Carnegie Hall?

A: Practice, practice, practice...

FD251033-0493-4990-ACB6-B69EA2871555.gif.f9af62847413e14582d835926acf4ff7.gif

Alfred spacer.png

Anyway;

this thread's original title is "cutting out image in affinity photo," I think it's rather gone off track.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

26 minutes ago, AffinityJules said:

Anyway;

this thread's original title is "cutting out image in affinity photo," I think it's rather gone off track.

It isn’t the first time that’s happened in a thread to which @Josie has posted, and it probably isn’t the last! :(

Alfred spacer.png

56 minutes ago, Josie said:

How do I get multicolored pictures and styles using the iPad Pro ? How do I do that and blend the colors so it looks like a design?

The default behaviour for a Gradient Map adjustment is that the colours blend at the edges.

18 minutes ago, Josie said:

How do I get a style like this one using layers?

Time, patience, and a lot of hard work! Please learn to walk before you try to run.

Alfred spacer.png