You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Photo&Designer] Frame Text - Vertical layout

Hi Dear,

We need to layout text vertically and it will be great if you can support from right to left show text(characters). This kind of text layout is the most important feature for national culture. We knonw Chinese, Japanese, Korean and many people need it!

Looking forward to using this new feature as soon as possible:)

Shi Lichuan

屏幕快照 2019-05-07 20.56.45.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Shi Lichuan said:

@ashf

I thought this forum is the best place to share information. Because affinity developers are here to solve problem. What do you think?

Yes, generally this forum is good but there isn't much people here who are using Affinity in an Asian language environment.
We have more than 100 users in our group and planning to communicate with Serif sales team.
If all East Asian users can join forces and request what we need to Serif, it would be nice.
Serif may consider Asian language support is low priority because they think there isn't much Asian user I guess.
But think about our population, China is 1.3 billion and Japan is 120 million, which is hard to ignore.
It's just that there isn't much people who speak English.

Yes I know, probably you saw I posted on their topic.

But I think It's too few.
Problem is that it's not just about vertical text but all text related feature.
Affinity doesn't even handle horizontal text properly.
There are so many bugs and luck of feature.
And Serif staff often says they don't have an environment to test or know how to handle.
I suppose an Asian engineer is needed for them and we may be able to arrange, also we can cooperate testing directly but just on this forum.

Without decent typography feature, Affinity is unusable as a graphic/publishing app, it's a must.
They can't sell such thing as a pro app.(or can't claim "pro")

I thought the problem is communication between Asia user and English developer. Of course, it will be great if Asia developer or tester can join SERIF. 

But any developer needs to rebuild the problem environment before they can solve the problem. We always need to report well described requirements and necessary materials such as Fonts, afphoto documents to help developer replay environment. Then they can locate, analyse, fix bug or implement new feature.

3 hours ago, Shi Lichuan said:

I thought the problem is communication between Asia user and English developer.

Yes, that should be one of problems.
English developers don't use computer with multilingual setup(except European languages), so they don't know how to type Asian language.
Thus they can't figure out what's the problem.

Also implementing Asian specific text feature is very niche among developers who is native English speaker.
(Though It's common among Asian developers)
They usually don't know much about it, only Asian developers know.
So probably an Asian developer familiar with it teaches/guides Serif how to implement it would be good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 5/7/2019 at 10:56 PM, 立川同学 said:

Hi Dear,

We need to layout text vertically and it will be great if you can support from right to left show text(characters). This kind of text layout is the most important feature for national culture. We knonw Chinese, Japanese, Korean and many people need it!

Shi Lichuan

On 5/7/2019 at 10:56 PM, 立川同学 said:

Hi Dear,

Shi Lichuan

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Vertical writing is implemented in VectorStyler just after around two months from the day it's requested.
Unbelievable speed of progress, while Affinity has still no clear schedule to implement it after 6 years.

I think those who need vertical writing immediately should switch to VectorStyler.
It's free for now as beta testing.

https://www.vectorstyler.com/