You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem with divide and add functions

I am creating this "leaf-like" symbol. I started with a teardrop shape and duplicated it twice, one rotating 20 degrees to the right, the other 20 degrees to the left, and it gave me the shape I wanted. Each shape was converted to curves. I then selected all the shapes, used the "Divide" function so I could delete the middle most part. Then I selected all the remaining parts and used the "Add" function. It looked ok but when I changed to a darker color I saw the gaps. I thought maybe it was just a screen artifact so I rendered a jpeg and PDF and the gaps are there. Any ideas??

Thanks

post-377-0-86927000-1430537590_thumb.png

post-377-0-82923000-1430537596_thumb.png

post-377-0-66341900-1430537604_thumb.png

post-377-0-45315800-1430537611_thumb.png

post-377-0-85303200-1430537623_thumb.png

post-377-0-41296600-1430537630_thumb.png

post-377-0-97065500-1430537636_thumb.png

ChrisP,

I think your mistake was using, Divide, that splits the objects up. If you added the shapes (using the Boolean operations) and then you would need to create the center part and then Subtract it from the main shape. The resulting object won't have any lines. Sorry, I hope this makes senses and helps. 

Hokusai

Thanks Hokusai. I see what you mean but I don't see why it shouldn't work the way I was doing it (I've done this before a lot in AI - divide to subtract a section and then add the rest back as one shape). It seems that the Divide function does change the bezier handles ever so slightly to cause the lines. 

I just recreated each shape from scratch with a minimal stroke (1pt) and then used Divide, then deleted middle shape, then Add all remaining shapes, and it seemed to work and there are no gaps. Seems having a stroke is the key.

I've had issues with the divide boolean function as well.  It used to work in earlier versions but I've had to change the way I do things.  

Try this:  Select your left and right leaf and then click on the intersect boolean.  Copy that new shape to your clipboard using Command C.  Next, undo the intersect boolean using the history feature or simply by pressing Command Z.  Next, select all your objects and add them.  This will give you your shape without any of those lines or gaps.  Next past your clipboard object into your document using Command V.  Now you can subtract that shape from your main object and you will have the desired look that your after.