You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello again folks!

I'm trying to figure out what's going on with the Color Replacement Brush Tool … I thought it might be a suitable replacement for the "Lock Transparent Pixels" option on Photoshop's Layers palette, which I can't seem to find a direct equivalent for in Affinity Photo.

Weird thing is, when I try to replace one color with another … it always seems to produce a lighter or impure version of the color instead of the one I have picked that I'm trying to replace with. (See attached screen capture.) It's almost like it's doing some kind of multiply/screen/etc. kind of adjustment to the color. (It seems the lighter the color it's replacing, the lighter the replacement color is.)

Any suggestions here? Am I not understanding the purpose of this tool? Is there a setting or option for the tool that my weak eyes are missing? Is there some other/better way to do the transparent pixel lock thing from Photoshop?

Also, I'm not sure what those little white artifacts are, next to the red arrowhead and under the pink exclamation point. 

Thanks y'all!

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 12.21.09 PM.png

The colour replacement brush only changes the Hue colour.  The saturation and lightness are (supposedly) not changed, hence the reason you do not get an exact match to the colour you are using as the replacement colour.

Even so, I get different results to you (not sure why?)

colours-fin.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 hours ago, carl123 said:

The colour replacement brush only changes the Hue {of the} colour.

For this reason, a few years ago I suggested it should be renamed the "Hue Replacement Brush" to avoid this sort of confusion, but I guess they decided it would be too confusing to change the name. :(

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

8 minutes ago, R C-R said:

but I guess they decided it would be too confusing to change the name

Not confusing, just wrong to change the name.

It is named correctly but currently only works on the Hue.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

9 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Not confusing, just wrong to change the name.

It is named correctly but currently only works on the Hue.

Well, my memory might not be as reliable as it once was, but IIRC when I suggested the name change a staff member said they would not consider changing the name because that would confuse users who already knew the tool by the existing name.

Also, to my knowledge, there has never been any mention by the developers of changing the tool to work on anything besides the hue component of color, perhaps for the same reason.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Photoshop's Colour Replacement Tool works on Hue, Colour, Saturation, & Luminosity

By the time we reach v8.x of APhoto I would have expected Serif to have added some, if not all of them, as well.

PS They very rarely tell us what they are working on.  It's a bit like Christmas sometimes when a new beta is released.

hue.jpg

Perhaps the best thing would be to have a tick box, to choose to just replace the hue, or to include saturation and lightness of the new colour as well.

Just saw carl123's post - that would seem to be the best solution.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 minute ago, carl123 said:

By the time we reach v8.x of APhoto I would have expected Serif to have added some, if not all of them, as well.

I doubt that I will live long enough to see version 8 of any of the Affinity products. :S

Affinity Photo 

Hey folks,

Thanks for all the input! I guess preserving hue and saturation would make sense as a photo manipulation tool, which isn't what I was trying to use this for.

IRONICALLY, I found what I wanted last night while noodling around in the iPad version of the app … then came here and immediately found it in the desktop app this morning. I was looking for some variation of "transparency lock" like in Photoshop, but it turns out in Affinity Photo it's called "Protect Alpha" and it does the job. :)

So, umm, case closed? topic resolved? whatever?

915130745_ScreenShot2019-05-07at9_20_49AM.png.4a96ed91db98d53b0d0d34b85378f78a.pngThanks everyone, and have a great day. :)