You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

TOC and Section Manager issues

I the process of building a Table of Contents (TOC) I found either a few bugs or I am missing something to make one as would be expected.

Attached is a TOC I made as a workaround to what I wished and could be done with sections

My impression is once you set up in the Section Manager with numerous sections of your book, then these parts can be used to divide your TOC as seen in my example.

Central, Western, Eastern and Northern Ontario. I try a few different approaches and could never get the effect. So is this a bug or undeveloped feature or ...?

Dan

TOC sample.JPG

I have seen nothing that indicates that such a ToC can be constructed automatically.

However, you can place the section name for each section in a text frame on the first page of each section, using a unique text style, and include that text style in the ToC. When you do that you can tell Publisher not to show the page number for that text style, and you'll have something like you want.

Note that you can even somewhat automate the process by using a Master Page for the first page of the section, with a text frame into which you've inserted a field to contain the section name. (View > Studio > Fields, then with the text cursor in a text frame double click on the field name Name in the Document Sections part of the Fields panel).

I've done something similar (without the Master Page for the sections) in the attached .afpub file.

Toc-with-sections.afpub

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks, Walt you the man...

OK, so what I thought should happen actually does not, though maybe it should??

Any way saw your file, (again thanks for the effort) and will study the structure.

You got me thinking of another way to make a TOC, but have yet to try. (busy with other bits) What if you made separate text boxes on the page for each section to control the layout and headings. Hmmm

till later....Dan

23 hours ago, DNA0101 said:

Central, Western, Eastern and Northern Ontario. I try a few different approaches and could never get the effect. So is this a bug or undeveloped feature or ...?

Hello @DNA0101,

if your goal is to have headings in the TOC that do not display a page number you can achieve this.
Just look for the character style that is assigned to the page number and edit it. Under 'Style > Character > Colour & Decorations' you click on 'Text fill' and there you can assign 'no fill' this particular style. That way the numbers will not be displayed. See attached screenshot.

hide-page-number.thumb.png.914fe5cc66e9084750519a7ddfc0ed10.png

I also append my test document for you to investigate.

d.

TOC.afpub

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Interesting approach, @dominik. For my usual cases I'd probably just use the controls in the TOC panel which let you say simply turn off the number for a particular kind of heading, but your approach is not one I'd known existed, which could be useful in some different situations :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

27 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

For my usual cases I'd probably just use the controls in the TOC panel which let you say simply turn off the number for a particular kind of heading

This, of course, is the more common way and I should have thought of it in the first place :)

I was exploring the fill colours in text styles recently and maybe this is the reason why I had this solution at hand.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.