You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

failure to save a file

I have just started having problems with saving a file. I created a graphic in a publication and cannot save it. it gives me the option of saving it under a different name but again will no save. This problem has occurred after I created a new graphic but even with that graphic deleted it still will not save.

I suspect that the problem has come about from a graphic created in Designer Beta (used because of the arrow heads)but I cannot be certain. Have managed to get around the problem by exporting the offending graphic as an SVG page, then deleting un-required parts and just saving the required graphic again as an SVG. 

For some reason, re-importing the SVG brings it in as a much bigger graphic, I mean really big, but is scales down ok.

What do you mean by "will not save"? Do you get an error message, and if so, what does it say?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I have two files that I discovered today did not save, despite the .afpub files being present in the save location (albeit with Zero bytes!) I seem to recall doing command-save, closing file a/o application and being greeted with a do you want to save changes. Having not made any intentional changes, I choose not to. Now I see that it didn't actually save. The documents were both wholly generated with Publisher elements, and–like the OP–utilized arrow heads (as well as boxes).

Message was that the file could not be written too. It gave the option of saving with a different file name but same result.

As a peripheral issue, why does a 130mm wide SVG get imported as a 1120 wide SVG?

Same issue here, I also had deleted arrowheads so assume this is problem. Any ideas on how to save existing file? As it won't save at all I have some hours of unsaved work I want to avoid re-doing. When the update with fix arrives how can I transfer file? If I cut and paste pages into a new file, that file inherits the same issue and refuses to save too. Suggestions?

17 minutes ago, fde101 said:

some hours of unsaved work I want to avoid re-doing

Couldn't it be backed up and re-open from the Restore ?

If not, you might at least try copy that folder before the file or application is closed:
~/Library/Application Support / Affinity Publisher Beta
and replace it with the copy before restarting the app.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

File > Export to whatever format(s) you think you will be able to "reimport" into a new Publisher document with the least problems

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I managed pdf backup, but these are not so easily editable as .afpub files - didn't manage to save out changes before Publisher crashed and I lost all changes - if you don't get the little green bar at the top - its not saving - live and learn! :(:(:(

• 1 year later...

My problem is slightly different but the results are the same - zero bytes saved, AFPUB may crash or just hang there with the pop-up "Save File" progress bar and no progress after several minutes.

Using a beta file saved under 1.8.4.648, OS X 10.15.3. Using 1.8.4.651 to open and run.

I just loaded that file, observed it,  and then performed a Save As - just crashed after about 5 minutes. Left a zero byte file (see screen shot). Note: no actual progress reported on the progress bar during the wait.

After crash, started AFPUB 1.8.4.651 and it automatically restored that file. Again, just observed - could not "Save" (greyed out) so I did a Save As with an incremental name. Again, just the non-moving progress bar (attached). Eventually, it crashes again, and left a zero byte file.

I'm guessing the file is corrupted from using the Beta (several successive versions) so will probably have to go back to 1.8.3 versions of the file and then use the final of 1.8.4 to continue the development work.2126712187_ScreenShot2020-05-09at12_51_07PM.png.62f5aff2664f069f98a77dfdbd8ab192.png432617580_ScreenShot2020-05-09at12_55_26PM.png.3fa60770a65b01600a4800681e54e990.png1515846924_ScreenShot2020-05-09at1_44_21PM.png.20ae00bebe79c490c211be5abded28f2.png

53 minutes ago, thetasig said:

My problem is slightly different but the results are the same - zero bytes saved, AFPUB may crash or just hang there with the pop-up "Save File" progress bar and no progress after several minutes.

The Save progress bar often does not show progress in Affinity, so this isn't a special issue or indicator for a problem.

Since you get your .afpub opened as auto-restored file when relaunching APub there possibly is an .autosave copy of your .afpub which opened instead the 0 byte file. If yes you can try to save it first to a different location. You can find it in ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher Beta/autosave/...   To open it change its suffix from .autosave to .afpub.

Where to do you try to save? If it's a network or cloud volume try to save locally instead.

(p.s.: when using Beta for a non-beta .afpub always prefer to work with a copy of your file, in particular if you haven't activated timemachine backups with its hourly snapshots which will be saved even if the backup volume is not present)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

MacBook Pro 16  OS X 10.15.3

I've stopped testing the Beta versions for the interim. I am not having trouble with AFPUB 1.8.3. Thanks for the information on the location of the recovery file - the recovery feature is very, very helpful. My documents are stored locally on the same drive as the application. I move sequential versions to an external archive (NAS) when they are no longer needed locally.

I think my crash experiences were caused by the extended loading time it takes for my large documents - about 7 minutes while the CPU (16 cores) goes crazy. If I try to save during that time it often fails and crashes. I have to use the Activity Monitor as a measure and wait until the CPU settles down.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.